Plesk Forum

General Discussion of atomic repo and development projects.

Ask for help here with anything else not covered by other forums.
leobag

Plesk Forum

Unread post by leobag »

ART has really been an asset to users upgrading/patching/updating PLESK... would it be good to have a forum for it, or should we post questions regarding plesk here? (or are you over plesk ;))
+
Galactic Zero
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by Galactic Zero »

Scott crusies the Plesk and other forums where PSA is talked about.. Here we talk about the RPM's and such that he's created or some of the others that contribute here.

So, anything regarding Plesk can be posted under general, the other forums are for more specific questions relating to PHP, Security, etc.. and PSA.

So, if you have a PHP 4.x and PSA and FC1/3ES/RH9 etc question, you'd put it under the PHP forum.

Hope I made some kinda sense.....
Franklyn Halamka
Still learning my way around Linux Security.
http://www.galacticzero.net
romwil

Yeah... this'll get me mocked mercilessly.. Migration Q.

Unread post by romwil »

Well, I'm hoping there is someone out there that can help me.. even though what I need to do is, well, doubleplusungood.

I've checked with Plesk support and they said that it's not in the product but they'd like to be able to do it.. :shock:

Now, please don't throw things at me.. there is a valid solid business reason for this one.... really... stop laughing.. :)

I need to migrate my current Plesk from one OS to another.

I currently am running on FreeBSD 4.9 with PSA 7.0.4, build 040728.18 and need to get to Windows 5.2 with PSA 7.0.2 Build 040921.10 (I purchased the new licenses, installed etc. )

Apparently the backup / restore routines a different and I can't just backup, download backup, upload backup to new box, restore. (didn't think that would work anyway but I was hoping... )

Is there a way to do this? I have 350 domains, tons of users, sites, mail files etc on the current box. I'd like to be able to migrate a domain at a time if possible but if I have to do a 'big bang' that's fine too.

I'm really stuck on this one... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
-William
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

That's a pretty massive architecture change, I really doubt that there is going to be any easy way to do what you want. I could probably do it, but its a pretty massive task.
romwil

Unread post by romwil »

scott wrote:That's a pretty massive architecture change, I really doubt that there is going to be any easy way to do what you want. I could probably do it, but its a pretty massive task.
Thanks for your reply, Scott.

I figured as much (massive task). However.... Under the covers, what app is invoked as part of the windows backup?

It looks like its generating a simple zip file with the contents of the hosted directory in a subdir named <domainname>. The real trick would be generating the info.xml- the file containing the settings that need to be imported- from the *nix box. Of course, I'm not sure about the email side of things..

is there a utility that i could use to generate the info.xml out there?
I don't mind doing the heavy lifting to get it to work.

In the same thought- what is the app that generates the backup on the *nix side? Anyone know the file format? Can I get that to a readable format on a windows box and perhaps code a converter?

Thanks!!!!
-William
scott

Unread post by scott »

I dont really know internals on the windows PSA, so I couldnt say. On unix boxes, its a mix of perl, tar, uuencode etc. All the standard stuff.

The settings are largely stored in sql, so Ive never generated any kind of xml files, I suspect if you need to do that it would have to be written for that specific job. Something like this would probably take a few weeks just to get my head around how the windows version is assembled.

The backup utils can certainly abstract it way so you can move between say freebsd and one of the linux distro's with ease, but there are a whole host of translation issues (in the ascii sense, not the language sense) you'll have to bridge going into windows. It could be especially difficult if you're having to do massive UTF-8 translations.