CloudFlare

General Discussion of atomic repo and development projects.

Ask for help here with anything else not covered by other forums.
Highland
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

CloudFlare

Unread post by Highland »

I was a bit surprised when I found this. It's nowhere near as economical as ASL (probably because end users incur most of the hosting costs) but I was impressed by their offerings, especially a WAF from Project HoneyPot (which I know you guys contributed to).

I mention it partially because it's a neat layer to add above ASL (there are things ASL doesn't do even in the free layer) and partially because I was wondering if you guys had ever considered offering a frontend service like this (you're all the time saying not to use nginx but to use a proxy and this is a proxy). I was also wondering if you'd tested how effective they were.
"Its not a mac. I run linux... I'm actually cool." - scott
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Re: CloudFlare

Unread post by faris »

Hmmm...CloudFlare looks nice enough for individual site owners with no technical knowledge.

I'd certainly I'd like to off-load all the mod_sec stuff to a dedicated box (or VPS), so it would be nice if the guys came up with an AWS image (or better still just a script that could be run on any server to turn it into an "ToxProxy: ASL Edition" security proxy) with customers paying for a rules licence for it as they do now. The problem with this idea is that you'd need to secure and manage said box as well as the other servers.

So an atomicorp-run cloud-based service would be nice, but I can see it being horribly complex to allow individual customers to manage their own rules.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>