Simple WYSIWYG/Non-database, hosted web page editor?

General Discussion of atomic repo and development projects.

Ask for help here with anything else not covered by other forums.
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Simple WYSIWYG/Non-database, hosted web page editor?

Unread post by faris »

A number of our customers need to be able to edit the contents of their web pages, to alter simple things like text. They don't need to add pages. They don't need to mess with menus. Just change the text (e.g. they might have a table with accommodation availability, and just want to put an X in a box to say it is booked)

It would be really nice if they could upload/resize photos too, to insert into a page.

I don't need a full-blown CMS to do this. It is overkill, too complex and too annoying.

Ideally I don't want databases involved *for storing content*. Just a PHP script that possibly uses FTP to edit the page as the user, as opposed to Apache, but it doesn't really matter) with some sort of WYSIWYG editing interface.

I'm aware that there are a number of competing "cloud-based" products on the market where you pay a monthly fee (e.g. $9 for one site, or $29 or so for an unlimited reseller package), provide FTP credentials, tag pages with special tags to indicate what can be edited, and off you go. I like these, but don't like paying a subscription. I'd rather pay a fee to buy a product outright and host it on our servers, or even better find an open source product that does the same thing.

Essentially I'm looking for a (host-based) alternative to asking customers to purchase Adobe Contribute, which they have now priced completely stupidly and is very poor value for money.

Is anybody aware of any good options? Google has not helped me on this occasion.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>