details preview of Plesk 10.4.X

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
Kalimari
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: details preview of Plesk 10.4.X

Unread post by Kalimari »

JimDunn wrote:
Kalimari wrote:stayed on 9 (currently 9.5.4) on primary servers which host important projects
Do you know if 8.6.0 will (smoothly) upgrade to 9.5.4... if the day comes for me??? (I only have about 150 client domains)
Did one or two of the upgrades incrementally as the updates came along, but also jumped from 8.6 to 9.4 (I think) using the cli interface one one server. You've just got to have a back-up plan and strategy on how to recover should the worst happen...

Yes I agree, ISPConfig is probably the strongest contender in the CP search.
Kalimari
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

mikeshinn wrote:
Have been looking for an alternative CP to Plesk (for all the obvious reasons), but have not discovered a viable alternative yet. Naturally, it'd need to co-exist happily with ASL ;-)
If you have your eye on a CP we dont officially support, please let us know. We base our support on what everyone is using (or may be using in the future). Right now these are offically supported (because they may interact with ASL):

* PSA
* Cpanel
* Directadmin
* Virtualmin
* Interworx

Others may work with ASL without issue too, we just havent tested them yet.
Thanks Mike, good to know. ISPConfig is probably the strongest contender, but then a bare bones approach (manually creating vhosts/mailboxes) sometimes appeals when the Plesk CP convenience becomes less than convenient.
JimDunn
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by JimDunn »

Ok, just saw that my Plesk 8.6.0 will go END OF LIFE on Sep. 1, 2012.

I will need to upgrade from 8.6.0 to 9.5.4 in the next 7 months (production server, CentOS 5.7, co-located box, 150 domains).

Then, since 9.5.4 goes end of life in June 2013, I'll have to upgrade to 10.x.x again 9 months after that.

I've been doing this for over 10 years now, but I think I'm going to hire someone to do this for me.

Does ATOMICORP hire themselves out for this? Or, could you recommend a good consultant??

Thx!
Jim
"Ok, yes... I like pie... um, I meant, pi."
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

Why first Plesk 9.5 and CentOS 5? I recommend saving yourself some hassle and going to CentOS 6 and Plesk 10 directly.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
JimDunn
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by JimDunn »

(I have to do in-place upgrades... and figured step-by-step was the best way???)
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

Logically speaking, 8.6 to 10.x should be "safer" than 8.6 to 9.x to 10.x

By going directly, you have one less step where things could go wrong, and you are using the latest in-place upgrade code available.

Of course this is logically speaking. I don't know about the reality! :-)
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
JimDunn
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by JimDunn »

I'm considering just quitting Plesk...

Looks like I'm going to need a new server to do the migration, and I know I want my new server to have ASL installed ($199/year).

So, I wonder, of the other Control Panels that Scott mentioned above, which would be his "favorite"?

* PSA
* Cpanel
* Directadmin
* Virtualmin
* Interworx

I saw that Interworx costs $249/year... and CPANEL/WHM is $425/year... PSA is currently costing me $360/year...

ISPCONFIG is free, or $50/year (HowToForge subscription) if you want the manual... which would be the cheapest...

But we don't know if ASL and ISPCONFIG will play together well...
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

The RPM based ones are ideal, that'd be Plesk, Interworx, and Webmin.
nobody
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by nobody »

Plesk has made all of us suffer. This is because parallels don't take this job seriously or their coders are out of business kids.
They are publishing code to be updated on thousands of production servers without even having tested what they build. I am convinced about that. Some bugs are so big my sister would have seen them.

While the migration from plesk 9 caused huge problems there are some things that actually work on plesk 10 to be honest.
Like the fastcgi isolation. On plesk 9 it simply wasn't working ! My backup also works on plesk 10 ! It only took them 3 years to fix these bugs ! I don't like though Cpanel either. Its another kind of a mess. We have both cpanel and plesk servers.
Now there are also many control panels which are also free but I don't trust anyone anymore.
Should we make a group and build our own ? hehe

Someone said about documentation. Well. I read plesk 10 documentation before migration but it surely didn't say that
1. I cannot transfer clients between resselers. This by the way is still very very crazy.
2. It didn't say it might somehow destroy the settings of the admin user in the database and finally force you to do a server migration to solve this...
3. It didn't say loads of other things such as that SPF will no longer work if you are using qmail insteadf of postfix in plesk 10.

The thing now is... The following. They finally released Plesk 10.4.0 which as I can see is no longer at testing period.
And it is supposed to solve a whole bunch of problems. (not sure if problems are solved, I've heard that from parallels whooo... countless times.) But it worries me the fact that they have added new functionality ! Whenever they add 1 thing the break 2-3 other things ... This is scary with them.
I don't know if I should upgrade to plesk 10.4.0. Has anyone upgraded from plesk 10.3.x to 10.4 ? Does it do what it promises or I will have a server full of bugs ?
Hello IT.
Phone : Blah Blah ....
Have you tried turning it on and off again ?
I'm sorry, are you from the Past ?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E4fm4Wqego
coolemail
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by coolemail »

We are on:
Panel version 10.4.4 Update #15

and while the migration from Plesk 9 was dreadful, they are definitely improving Plesk 10.
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

The best way to know is to test the upgrade yourself in a test setup. Your data, configuration, etc. are all factors that make your situation different from probably everyone else's.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
scott

Unread post by scott »

Actually we just went from 9.5 to 10.4 on www2.atomicorp.com the other day (with myql 5.5, php 5.3.9, etc). It was all pretty painless.

That being said, I want to give an honorable mention to Interworx. I havent used it as a control panel so I cant comment on how it compares against the others, but I have worked with them on repo conflicts and package integration. They're very strict about package management, no source compile anarchy, no secret update backdoor, and they put their src.rpms up for transparency.
nobody
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by nobody »

scott wrote:Actually we just went from 9.5 to 10.4 on www2.atomicorp.com the other day (with myql 5.5, php 5.3.9, etc). It was all pretty painless.

That being said, I want to give an honorable mention to Interworx. I havent used it as a control panel so I cant comment on how it compares against the others, but I have worked with them on repo conflicts and package integration. They're very strict about package management, no source compile anarchy, no secret update backdoor, and they put their src.rpms up for transparency.
Well. I trust you. I will be pushing an upgrade from 10.3 to 10.4 tonight.
Hope I will sleep tonight after the upgrade :P
Hello IT.
Have you tried turning it on and off again ?
I'm sorry, are you from the Past ?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E4fm4Wqego
Kalimari
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

scott wrote:I want to give an honorable mention to Interworx
In my ongoing search for a alternative CP to Plesk, took a look at Interworx recently and it seemed to fit the bill nicely, the price is reasonable and the features are just about right for my requirements, but do you think ASL and/or atomic would be compatible Scott? It seems to have its own package requirements for httpd, clamav, proftpd, qmail, spamassassin and a few others.
Anyone here used/using it?
scott

Unread post by scott »

Yes its compatible, we've got a great working relationship with them.