From plesk 9.5.4 to plesk 10.3.1 the odyssey !

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
nobody
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

From plesk 9.5.4 to plesk 10.3.1 the odyssey !

Unread post by nobody »

Hello everyone.

First of all I would like to know if anyone has managed to do such a migration, might seem funny but I really wonder.
Please if anyone has made it please let me know so I can ask you some questions.

I would say it has taken me a week to experiment the new plesk prion to migration, but I think once again parallels is using its client as lab rats for experiments ...
After a week of trouble plesk seems to be up and running normally.

So, I went out for a migration test using the migration manager ...... and as I was getting happy that I made it I found out a whole new mess ...

For some "plesk super cool" reasons in 2 domains that I checked :

1. The ftp passwords werent functioning. I had to reset the passwords from plesk in order to function.
2. (The worst....) all databases didn't have users attached to their permissions even though users existed.
And the best thing is that I just removed all clients - domains etc and users in database were still there and I had to remove them by hand.
3. Also it created not 2 new folders fs and fs-passwd
No idea why. And also in the fs-passwd there is a file with some users from the domains i just removed ! lol. Still there !
I am wondering should i remove these 2 folders or it will crash plesk ?
4. Then I got a weird email that it couldnt restart apache to apply configuration.
5. There are more errors... ! loool

It was also a surprise while I was reading the fact that many many many people have paid 75$ in order parallels fixes their problem. Are they causing the problems to get money out of paid support, license fees arent enough now days for them ????? And for problems they have created... !
They havent even solved version 9.5.x problems and they created a new major version. Only that fact can make someone understand their issues !

Anyway. Plesk is getting worse every year.
(Honestly I am seriously thinking of migrating everything to a cpanel to stop worrying about parallels experiments conducted to real servers and clients, but anyway...)
I do not care if they claim to have added functionality over their cp. Its simply not working. And I ve read around 500 forum topics with issues I had so we are all facing the same issues. Its not me being crazy with parallels.
It seems to me plesk was good up until the asl guys had it.
Hello IT.
Phone : Blah Blah ....
Have you tried turning it on and off again ?
I'm sorry, are you from the Past ?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E4fm4Wqego
nobody
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: From plesk 9.5.4 to plesk 10.3.1 the odyssey !

Unread post by nobody »

Found a way to make it work... !

It still generates a few painless errors during migration.

So. I am migrating on a customer basis now... ! :P
I found out that setting resources to unlimeted prior to migration on the production server makes some errors go away.
And then you simply have to go one by one the domains to set them on a new plan ...
Thats crazy ... but at least it works !
Hello IT.
hostingguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by hostingguy »

The day cPanel completes its rpm conversion project I am gone as well.
cPanel is cheaper (even if you factor in paying for fantastico) over 3 years for the cost of the license, CloudLinux and ASL are both supported there, and if you buy the license from cPanel directly (which I may have mentioned is still cheaper) you dont have to pay for SUS or Support.

The cPanel support is by far the best in the industry over the last decade.
nobody
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by nobody »

hostingguy wrote:The day cPanel completes its rpm conversion project I am gone as well.
cPanel is cheaper (even if you factor in paying for fantastico) over 3 years for the cost of the license, CloudLinux and ASL are both supported there, and if you buy the license from cPanel directly (which I may have mentioned is still cheaper) you dont have to pay for SUS or Support.

The cPanel support is by far the best in the industry over the last decade.

I totally agree about the support !
And the license only costs like 20 bucks per box with the support inclusive ...

I currently have (in plesk 10) one subscription per domain (cannot move domains between subscriptions) and the best part is that you can no longer upgrade or downgrade a client to reseller and vice versa !
When I found that I couldn't believe my eyes ! ! !
The guy or guys that thought of the new scheme in the panel must be a true "genious" !
Hello IT.
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

+1 on the RPM only version of cpanel. Supporting their source build environment is the only show-stopper they've got left. Best way to keep that going with them is to keep asking for full native RPM support.
hostingguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by hostingguy »

As long as httpd and its modules use RPM tahts really all I care about. They seem to be more perl centric at the moment, focusing on that (its been almost a year already, get to it!). I will definately ask them again in 2 weeks when I see them

Also even though PSA claims everything is the same or backwards compatible, we found big holes in the API which basically stopped us from being able to create accounts, upgrade/downgrade component usage, etc with the calls that currently work in 9.x - and surprise surprise when I dont hear back for over a year.

That was the day we decided to call cpanel and tell them to convert to RPM and we would convert our business :)
nobody
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by nobody »

Oh ... And another really cool thing ...

You can NO longer move customers from admin or resseller accounts to another resseler. You may only change owner in the subscriptions !
And if you want to have this "fantastic" feature which all control panels support for at least a decade you need to go to parallels plesk pro or something like that ...

Are they serious ? Surely not ...
Hello IT.
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

Another Plesk Migration Manager bug that we ran into when testing a migration: A records pointing to IP addresses that are not local to the server don't get migrated!

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=113088
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
nobody
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by nobody »

breun wrote:Another Plesk Migration Manager bug that we ran into when testing a migration: A records pointing to IP addresses that are not local to the server don't get migrated!

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=113088

They will fix it. They always do. At least thats what they say in the changelogs. loooool
But the bugs of plesk simply never go away. They are inclusive on the price ! :P
Saw the issue as well. Thank god I only had a few domains with custom IN A records....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Backup manager broken. Since , forever. So they fixed the bug with the size and the issue where it sucked all the ram when downloading directly to a workstation.

But :

a. I have set maximum backups, it doesn't pay attention to that. Goes all the way to fill the whole remote backup directory and crash.
b. Interesting ... I created a partition just for the backups as parallels states in their kb. /var/lib/psa/dumps.
But ... whene you try to download it into your workstation it will go and writh into /usr/local/psa/tmp/PMM and the recopy the same file on /usr/local/psa/tmp.

So if you have a small / partition it will immediately full all the space.
Thank god I have a partition for every serious path and the server did not crash.

and offcourse as always...

c. you cannot cancel backups.

d. also new bug. If you disable daily backup and then reenable it and run a manual backup plesk will start 2 backups !!!!!!! wow !

e. and still only ftp backups. Rsync is bad for parallels.

f. As always error logs from backup are not in the predifined email in the backup settings and you cant find the backup log as well.

Parallels should erase backup manager.
It causes more problems than good.
Hello IT.