PHP 5.3.3

Support/Development for PHP
Highland
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

PHP 5.3.3

Unread post by Highland »

Starting this since it's in testing but there's no thread yet.

There's no php-eaccelerator for the new packages
]# php -v
PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib64/php/modules/dbase.so' - /usr/lib64/php/modules/dbase.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning: PHP Startup: eAccelerator: Unable to initialize module
Module compiled with module API=20060613
PHP compiled with module API=20090626
These options need to match
in Unknown on line 0
PHP 5.3.3 (cli) (built: Aug 23 2010 11:12:04)
Copyright (c) 1997-2010 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2010 Zend Technologies
Also, if you have any PECL modules (i.e. memcache) you'll need to uninstall and reinstall to compile against the new libraries.
"Its not a mac. I run linux... I'm actually cool." - scott
dayo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: PHP 5.3.3

Unread post by dayo »

I just took a look at the 5.3.3-1.1 spec file and noticed fpm has been removed.

Can Scott please kindly clarify what the status on this is? (Why removed? plans to include before final release?)

I have been waiting for 5.3.3 for this very feature and it will be a massive downer if it is going to be left out.

Hopefully it will make it through.

Thanks.
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

dayo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by dayo »

Well done on the work done and thanks for the reply ... you guys post blog entries about once every three months or so ... it never crossed my mind to look there. :D

I get your point about the core business thing. There is indeed a question on why you provide these packages with them not directly related to your primary area. I sure appreciate having them though but perhaps it would be better to rely on another repo for my stuff and bearing in mind that your primary area is something else separate from a general software source. I wonder which repo might be a good substitute though. I made a request for phpMyAdmin update here for instance but thinking about it, this is clearly not in your primary area and I have since updated that using the epel repo. Bearing in mind that stuff like that is not your primary but with the experience you have, would you recommend something like epel to fill the gaps? Another one I have been looking at is CentALT particularly since it stays current with Nginx.

On fpm specifically, does anything fall over/break when the enable flag is on? if not, then please consider putting it back in. According to the php devs posting on the php-fpm google group, it doesn't break anything and just adds a SAPI and the CentALT repo put out a 5.3.3 RPM with fpm in July. I'll defer to your caution and expertise though.

Thanks a mil.
scott

Unread post by scott »

I think given that we're in an application-centric security business here, knowing server components inside any out (php, mysql, etc) supports our mission. Take suhosin for example, thats something that ASL should integrate with, or a better example is ioncube loader. I just discovered something epically scary about it during the PHP 5.3 adventure (it cant handle mprotect, while 5.2 can).

I don't have anything to test FPM with, and at the time there were so many other changes going on that I could test I just skipped it.
dayo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by dayo »

Fair enough.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for when it gets released into the main.
Highland
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Good blog post. A few thoughts

I think ZO has been dropped in favor of Zend Server (which is Zend's bundled PHP solution). Note how they talk about ZO as a feature of ZS, which is available in 5.3
http://www.zend.com/en/products/server-ce/index
I'm willing to bet most people using ZO were using the opcode caching and nothing else.

eaccelerator isn't out in testing. When can we expect that?

Firebird... I know of a few projects that use it (the one that comes to mind is Fishbowl Inventory). Could be intriguing to use.

libedit... if you have a version in testing then rpmforge's is higher (and not compatible)

mysqlnd is a good thing.
http://www.php.net/manual/en/mysqlnd.install.php
I would highly suggest enabling mysqli in your apps if you haven't already.
scott

Unread post by scott »

I saw mention of ZendGuard and an alpha (key required) version of it too. But if this is native to php now like they mentioned awesome. One less thing to support.

php-eaccelerator was added on tuesday, its definitely out there. Might want to clear your cache just in case.

I'll add libedit to the list.

Ditto with mysqlnd, if anyone runs across a good test script for it let me know.
dayo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by dayo »

Thanks for the fpm in the 2.0 build.

I'll move my main php app to a 5.3.3 version and try the build out.
dayo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by dayo »

Minor query on the specs ... should the log be owned by root instead of by apache?
scott

Unread post by scott »

Thats all on you at this point, you've got the test environment. If you could post your successes and failures here that would be great. I think most people dont have any idea what this is useful for so this would be a good place to let everyone know what kind of value you're getting out of the module, and what changes need to be made to make it better. As far as Ive seen, everything we've talked about over the last few months is implemented in 5.3.3 natively.
Highland
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I don't think Optimizer is part of the PHP core, I just think it's been dropped in favor of making it a feature of Zend Server (which is a pre-compiled version provided by Zend that goes far beyond simply compiling PHP). Either way, I wouldn't worry about it.

I cleaned my cache but eaccelerator still doesn't show up for 5.3
# yum install php-eaccelerator
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* addons: mirror.icpl.org
* atomic: www3.atomicorp.com
* atomic-testing: www3.atomicorp.com
* base: ftp.usf.edu
* extras: mirror.web-ster.com
* rpmforge: apt.sw.be
* updates: mirror.its.uidaho.edu

Setting up Install Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package php-eaccelerator.x86_64 1:5.2.14_0.9.6-4.el5.art set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: php = 5.2.14 for package: php-eaccelerator
---> Package php.i386 0:5.2.14-2.el5.art set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: php-cli = 5.2.14-2.el5.art for package: php
--> Processing Dependency: php-common = 5.2.14-2.el5.art for package: php
---> Package php-cli.i386 0:5.2.14-2.el5.art set to be updated
---> Package php-common.i386 0:5.2.14-2.el5.art set to be updated
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

==============================================================================================================================
Package Arch Version Repository Size
==============================================================================================================================
Installing:
php-eaccelerator x86_64 1:5.2.14_0.9.6-4.el5.art atomic 113 k
Installing for dependencies:
php i386 5.2.14-2.el5.art atomic 1.2 M
php-cli i386 5.2.14-2.el5.art atomic 2.4 M
php-common i386 5.2.14-2.el5.art atomic 278 k

Transaction Summary
Install 4 Package(s)
Upgrade 0 Package(s)

Total download size: 4.1 M
If I disable atomic it tries to install the 5.1 version in rpmforge.

As for libedit, the problem could be in the 32 bit version. I hadn't paid close attention before
php-cli-5.3.3-2.0.el5.art.i386 from atomic-testing has depsolving problems
--> Missing Dependency: libedit.so.0 is needed by package php-cli-5.3.3-2.0.el5.art.i386 (atomic-testing)
I removed all the 32 bit versions and had no further problems with libedit.
dayo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by dayo »

Finally completed my prep work and ran the 5.3.3 upgrade

php -v returns...

Code: Select all

Failed loading /usr/lib/php/zend/ZendOptimizer-5.3.so:  /usr/lib/php/zend/ZendOptimizer-5.3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib/php/modules/sqlite3.so' - /usr/lib/php/modules/sqlite3.so: undefined symbol: sqlite3_clear_bindings in Unknown on line 0
PHP 5.3.3 (cli) (built: Aug 25 2010 12:15:31) 
Copyright (c) 1997-2010 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2010 Zend Technologies
Not yet got to fpm as I need to sort this and timezone settings out in a couple of apps.

***EDIT***
sqlite sorted by running upgrade sqlite. No php-zend-optimiser upgrade though. Do I understand from your discussion with Highland that this has been moved into something else ... ie remove it?

Thanks
scott

Unread post by scott »

It does not appear that Zend optimizer will be available for PHP 5.3.3.
dayo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by dayo »

Thanks. Forgot to get back that I had removed it since I only had it for opcode caching.

So far so good. Everything is working after some minor code tweaks as I had changed most split type stuff a while back.

Main thing I needed to do now was to set date.timezone in my php.ini. Perhaps consider setting this by default to UTC ... on the other hand, it might be better to let it generate an error so the user goes in to set it up. I would personally prefer defaulting it to UTC.

Will move on to kicking off fpm.