glibc CVE-2015-7547

Customer support forums for Atomic Protector (formerly Atomic Secured Linux). There is no such thing as a bad question here as long as it pertains to using Atomic Protector. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

glibc CVE-2015-7547

Unread post by faris »

I'm surprised there's not been a post about this already.

For Centos 6 and 7 (not needed for 5 and 4) updated glibc and nscd rpms are already hitting the mirrors.

Now, as I understand it, a system reboot is recommended after installation as you can never be quite sure what might or might not be using the old libraries until the service is restarted.

If you can't reboot and don't want to examine the output of lsof or whatever, one of our suppliers has suggested adding the following to your firewall:

iptables -I INPUT -p udp --sport 53 -m length --length 512: -j DROP
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --sport 53 -m length --length 1024: -j DROP
(if approrpriate) iptables -I FORWARD -p udp --sport 53 -m length --length 512: -j DROP
(if approrpriate) iptables -I FORWARD -p tcp --sport 53 -m length --length 1024: -j DROP

(similarly for ipv6 as appropriate)

They claim it will have 0 impact other than to mitigate against the vulnerability. I can't say whether this is the case or not though.

If you want to add these rules via the ASL GUI, would I be correct in saying that you'd need to add the "-m length --length 512" in the "Additional options" box? (as well as setting the source port, protocol and jump target obviously, and selecting Insert rather than append etc etc)
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
mikeshinn
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Re: glibc CVE-2015-7547

Unread post by mikeshinn »

No need to do this on ASL systems, if you are using the ASL kernel you are immune to this:

https://www.atomicorp.com/forums/viewto ... =13&t=8319
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Re: glibc CVE-2015-7547

Unread post by faris »

Yes, but those of us using ASL but not running the ASL kernel do need to worry :-)
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>