Speeding up provisioing time of OpenVas

Support/Development for OpenVAS
pizzapete_
New Forum User
New Forum User

Speeding up provisioing time of OpenVas

Unread post by pizzapete_ »

Hi All,

I'm trying to simplify the initial setup of OpenVas installation using Puppet. I have a few questions:

[*] Is there a way to pre-package up a lot of the downloaded CVTs and to make the initial setup faster? What paths would I need to package up?
[*] /bin/openvas-setup does a lot of the setup, but I'd rather be able to break it down into separate steps for idempotency. Is there a clear guide on what steps are being run?

If possible I'd like to be able to do the minimum to get the OpenVas server running, then let the user run the sync steps at their own speed.

Thanks

Regards
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Re: Speeding up provisioing time of OpenVas

Unread post by scott »

I'd thought about doing an nvt bundle early on, and opted for the nvt update job as the first step. They change daily, so I'm not sure how useful that bundle would be unless I was doing package updates at a higher frequency (weekly might be possible). Or maybe even an AWS image with openvas already set up.

What you could do with puppet is sync the directory /var/lib/openvas to other targets, or maybe even run your own update mirror.

And the detailed steps of setup are:

1) Get the latest nvts

/usr/sbin/openvas-nvt-sync

2) download the CERT data. This is optional, so you could skip this one and let the cron update job do this later.

/usr/sbin/openvas-certdata-sync

3) download SCAP data. Again, this is optional and will get updated by cron. Its also the biggest download, from the most unreliable/slow mirror (run by NIST).

/usr/sbin/openvas-scapdata-sync

4) Make the Openvas client cert.Required for openvassd and openvasmd to communicate

/usr/sbin/openvas-mkcert-client -n -i

5) Start openvas scanner (order is very very important here!)

/sbin/service openvas-scanner restart

6) Wait for about 10 seconds. Even better wait until openvassd completely loads all its NVT's.

7) Run an openvasmd migration event. Very important for upgrades, but it also has some internal checks to auto-correct things:

/usr/sbin/openvasmd --migrate

8) Start openvas manager, openvas scanner must be running (step 5) at this point

/sbin/service openvas-manager restart

9) Configure GSAD, by default it will listen on localhost only. If you want it to be reachable from other systems edit:

/etc/sysconfig/gsad

and change

GSA_ADDRESS=0.0.0.0

10) start GSAD

/sbin/service gsad restart

11) Create user(s)

/usr/sbin/openvasmd --create-user=USERNAME

where USERNAME is the user you are creating

12) Set USERNAMES password. If you dont do this here, step 11 will create a random password:

/usr/sbin/openvasmd --user=USERNAME --new-password=PASSWORD

13) Configure Redis (required, openvas wont work without this), edit:

/etc/redis.conf

and set/change the socket:

unixsocket /tmp/redis.sock

14) Make sure the redis socket permissions are set to 700, edit /etc/redis.conf

and set/change:
unixsocketperm 700

15) Start redis:

service redis start

16) If you are on EL7, enable the services to start on boot:

systemctl enable openvas-scanner