Qmail-scanner: Unable to change group ID / broken pipe

Forum for getting help with Project Gamera, Spamassassin, Clamav, qmail-scanner and other anti-spam tools.
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

We do!
AntiochInteractive
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by AntiochInteractive »

I looked around at atomicorp.com / progllc.com and only saw ASL... and checked the Project Gamera page on ART.com ...

Is there a pricing page or published information? I'm certainly curious about what is offered, how it works, if one Project Gamera server can be shared, if pricing is based on traffic, # of e-mails, etc.
scott

Unread post by scott »

Sure, you can contact the sales folks about it, sales@prometheus-group.com
AntiochInteractive
Forum User
Forum User

That's neither a pricing page nor is it published information =)

I'll e-mail them, but I'm betting that this is out of budget.
AntiochInteractive
Forum User
Forum User

Just had a thought --

Has anyone with this problem tried troubleshooting with the copy of qmail-scanner in the testing repository?
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

We kind of do a "hosted" project gamera for our existing customers. Kind of. Sort of.

It isn't gamera as such though. It is spamdyke -> qmail-scanner [clamav/spamassassin], with some additional spamassassin rules of various kinds, with things fine-tuned on a weekly basis. And it is a service - basially mail filtering + store and forward.

At the moment only a few lotto rules are getting through (trying to sort this out though) - pretty much everything else get zotted in one way or another.

I've not considered offering it as a stand-alone mail filtering + store&forward service, but I guess we could if there was sufficient demand.

However you'd be better off talking to Scott because we are in the UK and I would guess our prices would not really be sensible for you.

Faris.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
consultant
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by consultant »

Did anyone ever come up with a solution to this problem?? Since upgrading to Plesk 9, I'm having the same probs as everyone else....

Code: Select all

Jan 23 12:55:42 quack X-Qmail-Scanner-2.02st: [quack.domain.co.uk123271532779124183] Unable to open pipe to /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue.orig [72057594037927935] (#4.3.0) - Broken pipe 
Jan 23 12:55:42 quack X-Qmail-Scanner-2.02st: [quack.domain.co.uk123271532779124183] Unable to close pipe to /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue.orig [255] (#4.3.0) - Illegal seek 
Jan 23 12:55:56 quack relaylock: /var/qmail/bin/relaylock: mail from 194.217.241.112:47919 (lon1-bounce-1-e1000g399002.mail.thus.net)
Jan 23 12:55:56 quack qmail-queue-handlers[24220]: Unable to change group ID: Operation not permitted 
Jan 23 12:55:56 quack X-Qmail-Scanner-2.02st: [quack.domain.co.uk123271535679124211] Unable to open pipe to /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue.orig [72057594037927935] (#4.3.0) - Broken pipe 
Jan 23 12:55:56 quack X-Qmail-Scanner-2.02st: [quack.domain.co.uk123271535679124211] Write error to envelope pipe. (#4.3.0) - Broken pipe 
Jan 23 12:55:59 quack relaylock: /var/qmail/bin/relaylock: mail from 194.217.241.113:48695 (lon1-bounce-1-e1000g399003.mail.thus.net)
Jan 23 12:55:59 quack qmail-queue-handlers[24234]: Unable to change group ID: Operation not permitted 
Jan 23 12:55:59 quack X-Qmail-Scanner-2.02st: [quack.domain.co.uk123271535979124225] Unable to open pipe to /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue.orig [255] (#4.3.0) -  
Jan 23 12:55:59 quack X-Qmail-Scanner-2.02st: [quack.domain.co.uk123271535979124225] Unable to close pipe to /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue.orig [255] (#4.3.0) - Illegal seek 
Jan 23 12:56:07 quack relaylock: /var/qmail/bin/relaylock: mail from 63.111.28.148:44465 (mail1274.newsletters.play.com)
Jan 23 12:56:08 quack qmail-queue-handlers[24250]: Unable to change group ID: Operation not permitted 
I've tried a forced re-install of psa-qmail
I've run qmail-scanner reconfigure
I've checked permissions according to all the other posts on this forum about the same problem.

If anyone actually has a fix for this it'd be awesome, or alternatively if anyone could point me at an easy way to convert to postfix now it's supported by plesk, that might be even better, since qmail has been a constant thorn in my side for a very, very long time, and seems incapable of a clean upgrade of any of the component parts in the mail-chain (esp. ClamAV) without considerable pain and suffering

Cheers

T.
scott

Unread post by scott »

Yeah if anyone figures out what the proper incantations are for Plesk 9 I can work it into an update.
AntiochInteractive
Forum User
Forum User

Still no luck over here. I've managed to set all of my accounts on my server to have PSA's spamassassin turned on with 10 points for automatic deletion... and tweaked my rules -- so spam is not a terrible problem.

Thing is - using ART'S Qmail-Scanner implementation, you get way better logging for troubleshooting, all spam can be sent to a spam account, and clamav is integrated...

So I'm still desperate for this too.

I'm shocked that Scott is asking if anyone has figured it out... mostly because I always assume that Scott can suss out the answer by just looking at the situation... most of us have tried changing permissions around and that seems to not work under any scenario, so it is quite strange...

But you know - it's all of our own damned faults for installing PSA 9 =) -- which, PSA 9 -is- quite nice. I like it except for the loss of qmail-scanner.

What's funny is that I installed PSA9 for Postfix and AtMail. AtMail is -nowhere- to be seen and Postfix fails whenever I turn it on. The two features I wanted the most are dead for me!
scott

Unread post by scott »

heh, well I havent even had the time to work with the new mail system yet. And for good reason I dont want to touch it yet, since all the updates to plesk 9 have changed it in such a way that it would have broken q-s each time :P

I didnt want to fix it for plesk 9, only to have to fix it again for plesk 9.0.0.1 and then again on 9.0.0.2. Will 9.0.0.3 do it yet another way? I dont know for sure.

Otherwise Ive been playing wackamole on other plesk 9 stuff, like the /proc issues it had with grsecurity (we had to introduce a vulnerability to get it to work!), or the qc-driver update problems (the atomic installer will automatically configure a fix for it), or the general performance bottlenecks in lighttpd (involving major rewrites of the ASL gui, and changes to the lighttpd config. Which also sped up plesk!).

So *grin* I'll take the help where I can get it!
hestonk
New Forum User
New Forum User

Unread post by hestonk »

and here it goes
parallels (formally sw-soft) just released 9.0.1
http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/PP ... ed-os.html

Maybe they've fixed the bugs...who knows.
I'll wait a little while before updating to get a concencus of its adoption and problem rate.
warrenc
Forum User
Forum User

Re: Qmail-scanner: Unable to change group ID / broken pipe

Unread post by warrenc »

I run Gamera within VPS's - on RHEL/CentOS's Xen-based virtualization, and it works quite nicely! I don't want to spam the board, but if interested you're more than welcome to reach me via my contact info on this forum.

I'm also having a very similar issue:
After an upgrade to v9 am noticing that mail will at least move through the box after doing a 'alternatives --config mta' and choosing /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix, however, I am too getting the permissions problem, and it appears that in this short amount of time its affect may just be that spam filtering isn't working correctly. Looking around for a quick solution hasn't been successful yet, but I'm about to dig a bit and if I find anything further I'll update this thread. Wish me luck. =P

EDIT: Scott, why did you ask the fella earlier about a seperate /var partition? Typically I use LVM and would have this and am wondering what difference it may make (assuming its not full, etc)... Thanks!
scott

Unread post by scott »

I was thinking maybe it was mounted noexec
warrenc
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by warrenc »

Ahh, and after toying with this and changing errors, what I got before was the best I've seen so far (email working, spam filtering not so hot). I'm on a different project at the moment but hopefully I can get this fixed ASAP. If I'm lucky enough to figure something nifty out I'll be sure to let you know.

Scott, why would /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue.orig disappear, and what are the correct perms on it? Might this be a renamed file by qmail-scanner during installation and if I didn't have it, I was likely without qmail-scanner? I think that's the case but wanted to make sure that is expected behaviour, etc...
warrenc
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by warrenc »

My solution was found at: http://notes.homelinux.org/index.php/Linux/Qmail

I realized however I had gotten beyond the above errors after fixing up clamd's (persistent) permissions issues (back to clamav.qcsand), as well as verifying qmail-queue* ownerships and perms were correct. I'm not using qmail any longer, so I've chkconfig'ed qmail off and postfix on, as well as alternatives --config mta and selected sendmail.postfix as the correct MTA.

chmod u+s /usr/bin/suidperl

Good luck! Hopefully it just wasn't my hacked up box requiring this, and it helps others...maybe, let me know. ;)