Backscatter problems with PG & Plesk

Forum for getting help with Project Gamera, Spamassassin, Clamav, qmail-scanner and other anti-spam tools.
Inaba
Forum User
Forum User

Backscatter problems with PG & Plesk

Unread post by Inaba »

I have a PG box setup to handle the front end mail acceptance/scanning for my Plesk box.

However, I've been noticing more and more backscatter being generated by the Plesk box because the PG box is blindly accepting email to the given domains.

I understand why this is happening... but I'm wondering if there's a good way to fix it. Obviously, PG would have to somehow understand what mailboxes are acceptable on the Plesk box... in addition to honoring the "deliver non-existent mailboxes to a catchall address" configuration.

I don't think this would be *that* hard to implement.. but I'd like to do it in a way that's friendly with Plesk and PG. I'm hoping someone is already addressing or starting to address this issue, because it's becoming a bigger and bigger thing.

Anyone?
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

The version of qmail in the [atomic-bleeding] channel supports a validrcptto file, where you can dump a list of valid domains/email addresses into a cdb file. This would ensure that the PG system only handles mail for valid accounts. Ive got some scripts in there that will let you tie it into an LDAP/Active directory server, or generate them from the psa qmail userlist. Its feature complete, the only thing I have left to do is to come up with a wrapper to automate the config generation.
Inaba
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by Inaba »

That's good to hear, Scott!

Is there provisions to support the catch-all type address in Plesk, or is it an on or off thing? Some of my domains are set to reject and some are set to a catch all.

If I understand what you are saying, it sounds like it could be a valid domain, OR a valid address at a domain, is that correct, or is it one or the other globally?
scott

Unread post by scott »

You can do domains, usernames, regexs of domains/usernames. Examples:

scott@* <- would get anything with the username scott, to any domain (rcpthosts would filter the valid domains).
scott@atomicrocketturtle.com <- just that email
*@atomicrocketturtle.com <- anything to that domain
scott*@atomicrocketturtle.com <- anything with scott in front @atomicrocketturtle.com
@atomic*.com <- any email to any domain with atomic in the front of it.
Inaba
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by Inaba »

Where are we at with the validrcptto file deal? Is it in the current implementation for PG or still in bleeding?
Inaba
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by Inaba »

I tried to install the atomic-bleeding version, but it failed to install on a PG box.

Any updates on this?
scott

Unread post by scott »

Havent touched it in a while, so no.
linuxmagic
New Forum User
New Forum User

Re: Backscatter problems with PG & Plesk

Unread post by linuxmagic »

The new MagicSpam for Plesk is out, and it really helps stop backscatter problems.. Simple to install module for Plesk, unlimited users for only about $10/month.. Really saves your CPU too.. http://www.magicspam.com
scott

Unread post by scott »

I wonder if spamdyke does this, I added that to the repo a week or so ago
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

Yes, spamdyke can do it.

Faris.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
scott

Unread post by scott »

sweet, well we've got that in atomic now, as well as Haggybears plesk module for it. What settings in spamdyke do you use for it? I can set it up to ship that way by default
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

Unfortunately it doesn't work in the way I initially thought it would.
You see you can blacklist a receiving domain but if you then whitelist the valid addresses there would be no spam filtering on them! FAIL :-(

http://www.spamdyke.org/documentation/R ... _ADDRESSES

http://www.spamdyke.org/documentation/R ... l#RELAYING

Faris.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>