Qmail-scanner and Plesk 10.4.4 MU#28

Forum for getting help with Project Gamera, Spamassassin, Clamav, qmail-scanner and other anti-spam tools.
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Qmail-scanner and Plesk 10.4.4 MU#28

Unread post by breun »

After installing Plesk 10.4.4 MU#28 qmail-scanner is no longer active. Running qmail-scanner-reconfigure doesn't seem to help.

This dance got it to work again: https://www.atomicorp.com/forum/viewtop ... 212#p32212

I still don't understand what exactly takes qmail-scanner out of the loop with updates like these, but it sure is annoying. Does anyone have a thorough understanding of things like Plesk mail handlers?

Also Courier IMAP configuration got reverted to the default, which is a pain if you've upped MAXPERIP and/or MAXDAEMONS, so watch out for that.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Re: Qmail-scanner and Plesk 10.4.4 MU#28

Unread post by scott »

So normally the way you'd invoke qmail-scanner is to load it with an environmental variable in daemontools. Since this is xinetd, that doesnt work (or didnt, honestly I last did research on this about 8 years ago) so what happens is:

1) the internal qmail-queue binary is backed up (take a look at %post)
2) a new one that does support handing off to qmail-scanner is installed in its place
3) qmail-scanner knows to use the backed up file from step 1

When I first started trying to do something like q-s with postfix I got pretty far down the path of using the handlers system to work with it. That would have allowed a common qmail-scanner pacakge to work across any MTA used in plesk.

What I ran into, and Im sure its solvable, is that the format of data passed from the handler was not compatible with what q-s expected to see from an alternate queue. While poking around for solutions, I ran across someone who had written a policyd wrapper for plesk that would work with qmail. I think this might be the project:

http://blog.schalanda.name/archives/171 ... mail.html/