SA and Rules Du Jour

Forum for getting help with Project Gamera, Spamassassin, Clamav, qmail-scanner and other anti-spam tools.
Stucco
Forum User
Forum User

SA and Rules Du Jour

Unread post by Stucco »

I need a little clarification on the setup and structure of SA.

I have /usr/share/spamassassin/ with lots of .cf files, and I have /etc/mail/spamassassin with my rules du jour downloaded cf files and my local.cf. What is the difference between these directories?

Also, I have pyzor turned off in my local.cf...

Code: Select all

#use_pyzor 0
#pyzor_path /usr/bin/pyzor
#pyzor_timeout 10
#pyzor_max 5
but when I use the test message I noticed pyzor popping up on top. So I used a debug flag and grep pyzor and out came...

[15794] dbg: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/25_pyzor.cf
[15794] dbg: pyzor: network tests on, attempting Pyzor
[15794] dbg: plugin: registering glue method for check_pyzor (Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Pyzor=HASH(0x8b8f400))
[15794] dbg: util: executable for pyzor was found at /usr/bin/pyzor
[15794] dbg: pyzor: pyzor is available: /usr/bin/pyzor
[15794] dbg: pyzor: opening pipe: /usr/bin/pyzor  check < /tmp/.spamassassin15794KHSMDBtmp
[15794] dbg: pyzor: [15795] finished:  exit=0x0100
[15794] dbg: pyzor: got response: 66.250.40.33:24441_(200, 'OK')_0_0
Why would it be using pyzor when it's supposed to be turned off?

Also the -L option is for local tests only. It significantly speeds up spamassassin. Does this include testing with all cf files on the box but no pyzor, dcc and razor?

Stucco
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

you want to uncomment that use_pyzor 0 line there. By commenting that out you turned it back on :P

-L should turn off all checks that would connect to a remote system (RBL's, pyzor, SPAMURI, etc).

Any .cf file in the /etc/mail/spamassassin directory will be used by SA. It wont read anything from other directories by default. So if you're not sticking your RDJ rules in that dir, its not using them. The /usr/share/spamassassin directory is the exception, those are the internal components that I dont recommend you tinker with. Anything in /etc/mail/spamassassin will both override those rules, and also not get overwritten on an upgrade.
Stucco
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by Stucco »

Ahhah!

After uncommenting out the pyzor line the grep instead produced

[10167] dbg: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/25_pyzor.cf
[10167] dbg: pyzor: network tests on, attempting Pyzor
[10167] dbg: plugin: registering glue method for check_pyzor (Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Pyzor=HASH(0xa27e09c))
[10167] dbg: pyzor: use_pyzor option not enabled, disabling Pyzor
thus disabling it. Thanks for the other great info too, that explains a lot.