firefox 3.0 RC1

Requests for RPMS, or new coding projects related to server administration, Plesk, security, or anything else you can think of.
aus-city
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

firefox 3.0 RC1

Unread post by aus-city »

Scott,

Could you possibly build firefox 3 RC1 for fedora please. F9 still only has beta 5 and I like FF3. Could you also build it for 8 as well?

Thanks!
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

I'd just wait for the Fedora people to update this package. https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=449670 They might wait for the stable release though.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
aus-city
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Hi Breun,

Sharp find that is my bug :)

You would think if the packagers / maintainers decided to go with Firefox 3 they could at least keep it updated as it is a RC1 candidate now and the windows version runs well.

At the minimum build the damn package and leave it in updates-testing...
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

I guess they just might be waiting for the stable release. I wouldn't go and package every single build they do either. If there are significant security issues fixed in RC1 then I guess they will update or backport those fixes, but if you really want RC1 right now, you can just download it from Mozilla, right? Or build a package yourself. Or just be a bit more patient instead of demanding that someone else builds you this 'damn' package.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
aus-city
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

RC1 is stable its been available since May and they package it in rawhide for F10. My windows machine has been running it without a hitch unlike beta 5 :(

At least they should be packaging them in updates-testing so you can add them if you want to or not.

I already tried to rpmbuild RC2 as well as RC1 and it fails on it can't find firefox-2.0 in usr/lib as since they insisted on using beta5 and its in /usr/lib as firefox-2.0b5.

My opinion is they have 'over taxed' themselves with 4 releases going right now. F7, F8, F9 and rawhide (F10). It would have been sensible to hold off on F10 until F7 was EOL. If they want to have everything going then try to do a better job answering bugzilla's. The fedora forum is full of firefox 3 issues with B5.