Problem upgrading Plesk

General Discussion of atomic repo and development projects.

Ask for help here with anything else not covered by other forums.
yesthatguy

Problem upgrading Plesk

Unread post by yesthatguy »

I'm trying to upgrade Plesk from 7.0.4 to 7.1.7 (and eventually up to 7.5.x). I get the following errors when I try to upgrade via yum. The same error comes up when trying to upgrade from SW-Soft's downloadable archive (specifically when running rpm -Uvh psa-7.1.7-fc1.build71050228.12.i586.rpm). I have spamassassin-2.63-art.rh9.9 installed because when I tried 3.0.1 it ate up ridiculous amounts of memory and was worse at catching spam (if there's reason to believe that 3.0.2 would be much better, I'd be willing to try it). I can't even tell why RPM wants to touch qmail-scanner or spamassassin at all, so I'm not sure how to get around this dependency. Any ideas?

perl(Mail::SpamAssassin::AutoWhitelist) is needed by (installed) perl-Mail-SpamAssassin-SpamCopURI-0.16-1
perl(Mail::SpamAssassin::EvalTests) is needed by (installed) perl-Mail-SpamAssassin-SpamCopURI-0.16-1
perl(Mail::SpamAssassin::HTML) is needed by (installed) perl-Mail-SpamAssassin-SpamCopURI-0.16-1
perl(Mail::SpamAssassin::NetSet) is needed by (installed) perl-Mail-SpamAssassin-SpamCopURI-0.16-1
perl(Mail::SpamAssassin::Received) is needed by (installed) perl-Mail-SpamAssassin-SpamCopURI-0.16-1
perl(Mail::SpamAssassin::Util) is needed by (installed) perl-Mail-SpamAssassin-SpamCopURI-0.16-1
spamassassin is needed by (installed) qmail-scanner-1.25-1.rhfc1.art
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

that tells me that its trying to upgrade spamassassin to 3.0.x. Side note, you have to convert your bayes DB to the 3.0 format when you upgrade. Not doing that will absolutely kill the effectiveness of SA
yesthatguy

Unread post by yesthatguy »

So is it not possible to upgrade and keep an older version of SpamAssassin? It's weird, because spamassassin or related things aren't listed in the dependencies (provides or requires) of that package at all, and it seems like it should be unaffected. Any idea if past memory leaking and efficiency problems have been solved in 3.0.2 to make it worth trying again? Or, if we upgraded that for the sake of doing the Plesk upgrade, would it be possible to downgrade again after the fact?
scott

Unread post by scott »

I havent seen any memory leaks or efficiency problems like youve described personally, but I can speculate on a few causes there. If you install CPAN modules for example, incompatible versions can cause some sublte failures, either in content-testing or in memory use/performance. It also uses a different threading model, so you'd want to change the /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin config accordingly. And of course, bayes db's from 2.x have to be converted to 3.x, that alone is your most powerful anti-spam component. Losing that would absolutely kill its effectiveness.