qmail-scanner, outgoing mail, domainkeys and SPF

Forum for getting help with Project Gamera, Spamassassin, Clamav, qmail-scanner and other anti-spam tools.
biggles
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

qmail-scanner, outgoing mail, domainkeys and SPF

Unread post by biggles »

OK, I have been running qmail-scanner on my server for a few months now and it works ok. OK, more than ok! ;-)

But there is a problem and it is pretty big. Qmail-scanner also scans outgoing mails. I can definitly see the advantages in this setup (my customers or abusers couldn't misuse my servers), but it also causes all mail to be added points for being spam. OK, what is causing the spam points? Well, I use both domainkeys and SPF and domainkeys isn't added until after qmail-scanner is completed (at least I think it is added after...) and the SPF-check fails because the local IP I am sending from isn't listed in the SPF TXT, only the server IP:s.

Anyone has any ideas how to get around these issues?
AntiochInteractive
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by AntiochInteractive »

What you might be able to do is open up a separate port for outgoing mail and have it not hit the qmail-scanner.

I personally suspect that qmail-scanner processing outgoing mail is causing delays that are visible from the client side. The tagging of messages as spam isn't too much of a problem to me as I've refined my SpamAssassin rules and most web based apps that send mail are RFC compliant.

----

I would theorize that it might be possible to open up an additional port for outgoing mail and to route things differently -- perhaps install a second copy of qmail in a different location without the qmail-scanner addition and route things through that install --

I'm providing instructions on how to open up port 5190 (usually for AIM, thus never blocked) as an outgoing SMTP port ... as a starting point.

Read on for an explanation from Scott as to why scanning outgoing mail is good.

Edit /etc/services and add the 3rd and 4th line:

Code: Select all

smtp            25/tcp          mail
smtp            25/udp          mail
smtp5190        5190/tcp                mail
smtp5190        5190/udp                mail
Save and copy your smtp_psa file in /etc/xinetd.d to smtp_psa_5190 then edit and change the first line to:

Code: Select all

service smtp5190 
Then restart xinetd (service xinetd restart)

---

Good information from Scott:

Qmail-scanner implements scanning in the queue, rather the mail box. At the time I thought that the .qmail design was better in every way since it let you do settings at the user level rather than system wide. BUT, here was the key... everybody sharing the same bayes and awl dbs created a collective defense. Bayes doesnt work at all until you get up to 200 entries for spam and ham (so 400 messages
*scored*). That lead to the server wide version of Plesk's spamassassin.

Great right? It should be the same right? No. It wasnt ever as good and it drove me nuts for days until I figured out just what was going on. Bayes gets *poisoned* by spammers, and its super easy to do if you're looking down at the inbox level. On top of that bayes expires all the old tokens after 90 days, so priming with a pre-trained bayes DB is only useful for so long. What qmail-scanner was doing that I didn't realize was that it captures bayes and AWL data in *both* directions.

That means every message your users send is getting added to the bayes DB. Now barring that your system is getting used for spam, there basically isnt a better way of training a bayes DB to the highest level of accuracy (this gets crazy accurate over 2000 messages on each side). Thats why it was so much more accurate, it just has the best possible data. Of course in a plesk environment the likelihood of it getting poisoned by outbound mail is pretty high too. So really the most ideal configuration is to use the per-user settings via mysql for anyone that sends a lot of their own mail.
--

So there is certainly a silver lining to having your outgoing messages scanned also.

It would be -nice- if a future release of qmail-scanner would have an option that differentiated incoming and outgoing and allowed a user to turn off tagging as you've mentioned.

From a purely ignorant standpoint, I have no idea how SPF and DomainKeys work -- I respect that PLESK has added them and figure that there must be a value there. However, I would rather sacrifice them for qmail-scanner as I believe qmail-scanner is more effective.

If only it worked for PLESK 9...
biggles
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by biggles »

Thanks a lot for your extensive reply! Very informative!

There is one small problem though. A new port would require all my customers to change their mail settings. That isn't easily accomplished, I'm afraid...
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

Odds are they're using the other ports (465, SSL smtp, or 587, Submission) anyway. Most ISP's block port 25 outbound
biggles
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by biggles »

Ahhh, so you mean I could change the way mail coming to port 465 is handled?
scott

Unread post by scott »

Yup, you can manipulate the functionality to each port more or less. The submission port for example is just a minor tweak to the config for the smtp port.