Plesk 8.x to 9.x? Yes or not.

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
chencho
Forum User
Forum User

Plesk 8.x to 9.x? Yes or not.

Unread post by chencho »

Hi all.

Actually i have a Plesk 8.6 working without problems, but into updates i see 9.0.0, 9.0.1 and 9.2.1

Is better to update plesk to 9.x? I have procmail to send spam to Spam imap folder, and i have noticed that plesk 9.x will not work with it.

I'm not sure the benefits to use 9.x instead 8.6

Someone can make a small compared?
thewolf
Forum User
Forum User

Re: Plesk 8.x to 9.x? Yes or not.

Unread post by thewolf »

Hi,

I'm also running Plesk 8.6 on RHEL4 and I'm considering to upgrade it to Plesk 9.2.1.

Do you think it's worth the upgrade?

Thanks.
Highland
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by Highland »

I just made the jump. The largest changes are

1. You can now allocate resellers. It's another tier above a Client. A reseller can create clients under themselves and clients can then log into Plesk to manage their domains under that.

2. You can now use Postfix as your mail server if you want. That having been said, Postfix still has a few bugs to work out so stick with Qmail

3. You can use Atmail as your webmail client instead of Horde

Is it worth it? It's not pain free. The CLI backup command throws an error. qmail-scanner doesn't like something so I had to remove it or it would kill the box by eating resources. If you're running ASL be sure to run the following after upgrading

Code: Select all

#asl -s -f
#service psmon restart
If you don't, psmon will restart Plesk 9 every minute or so
"Its not a mac. I run linux... I'm actually cool." - scott
ClearlyTechnical
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by ClearlyTechnical »

I too recently made the jump to 9.2.1 and did so from a couple of different versions of plesk.

Overall, I have to say I am glad I waited because the 9.x bravehearts did all the nasty testing. 9.2.1 seems pretty tight I have to say. Granted, this is in regards to those areas that were specific to me. Mostly Joomla and CRMs like vTiger and Sugar. Make no mistake, not easy to maintain (Joomla is an admin's nightmare, but a great tool for end users).

Ok, so what to look for:

-Postfix has some issues.

-Use Message Submission option for port 587.

-The new greylisting is working fine so far, had to take down qgreylisting as it was server wide and clients complained.

-Backup and Restore/migration overall was fantastic I must say. not perfect, but overall I moved from one server to another seemlessly. My stats, my emails, everything. Right over the ether! not a problem other than some little things like having to run /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/websrvmng -a -v after a restore (just do it, trust me).

-Reseller feature is nice and powerful, but I don't use. It will be nice for clients who like to add their own domains though.

-FastCGI - See my post http://linkzuki.com/1a Very promising, but if you need per domain php.ini settings of any kind, don't expect to use your vhost.conf file out of the box to do so. I was so excited about this feature until I got stumped trying to do per domain php.ini settings.

-Email has a lot more features.

-I would pass on ATMAIL, I wasn't impressed. Especially with the new skin for Horde (wpa something or other).

I'm using 1and1, stock image off their server, then installed yum from scott and fired an update. I was going to do the server reconfigure as per his CentOS dilio, but I was trying to just stay "stock" for testing purposes.
64-bit
1G
250G

If you ask me, all I can tell you is that I am not interested in 8.x anymore and I won't be going back.

Good luck to you!

PS: Here are some notes that I kept during my process. I hope this helps someone else.

----Also, to prevent ART from blowing out qmail---
There is a bug in the way they mark up the "driver" packages in the RPM database. No matter what you're running (qmail, or postfix) the opposite will look like an update. What we ended up adding to the plesk.repo was this:

vi /etc/yum.repos.d/plesk.repo

exclude=psa-mail-qc-driver*

if you're running postfix, that would exclude qmail as the upgrade. Removing that line and running "yum update" is all you'd need to do to convert from postfix to qmail, or vice versa.

https://atomicrocketturtle.com/forum/vi ... 4b1#p18542

#Switch between Postix and Qmail
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/autoinstaller --select-release-current --install-component qmail
or
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/autoinstaller --select-release-current --install-component postfix

#Postfix issue - 9.2.1 issue with authentication
http://www.grafxsoftware.com/faq.php/Pl ... rror/1/10/http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=87584

--- Made to links due to chroot issue instead of editing files.
ln -s "/var/spool/postfix/private" "/private"
ln -s "/var/spool/postfix/plesk" "/plesk"

#Add this to ~/.bashrc
PS1="\n\u@\H \d, \@ {\j} (192.168.1.1) \n[\w] "

sample:
root@ns1.domain.net Mon Jul 20, 11:59 PM {1} (192.168.1.1)
[/var/local]

\j shows running jobs. Saves you a trip to #jobs
Put your own ip for the machine in the ()'s or whatever note you want. I am on a bunch of boxes, so it's nice to know which is which. I like to have the IP address handy for cut /paste.
interzis
New Forum User
New Forum User

Unread post by interzis »

hello,

I have a little question, regarding this update, more exactly about the license

I own an old license, from the times when just the v8.0 of plesk was released and is an owned license, not a leased one.
Right now I'm running v8.6 and I intend to update to v9.x but I'm not sure my license will act in the same way as now.

In my plesk update section I have v9.x versions available for update. This mean my license will cover it?

I'm asking this because I'm just the server's admin, not the guy who really own the license and I'm afraid not to mess it. As I know, the v9.x licenses are just leased type.
I don't want to "change" the owned license into a leased one.

Thank you for your time and sorry for my "untrained" English language.

Regards,
Seb
Highland
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by Highland »

That would be more of a question for Parallels, since it involves the license. Try asking over here
http://forum.parallels.com/
"Its not a mac. I run linux... I'm actually cool." - scott