yum update to MySQL 5.1.43 causes dependency problems [FIX]

Atomic repository announcements, new release notifications and other news regarding the atomic yum repository.
FutureTV
New Forum User
New Forum User

yum update to MySQL 5.1.43 causes dependency problems [FIX]

Unread post by FutureTV »

Just an FYI:

I took the plunge and upgraded from MySQL 5.0 to MySQL 5.1.47 this morning and ran into dependency issues. Here is my problem and solution. I hope this will help you and others.

First attempt:
yum update 'mysql*'

Resulted in this error:
Error: Missing Dependency: libmysqlclient.so.15 is needed by package php-mysql-5.2.13-1.el5.art.i386 (installed)
You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
package-cleanup --dupes
rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

My install is CentOS 5.5 x86_64. Turns out I have some x86_64 and i386 binaries linked to MySQL and it was trying to also update the i386 version of mysql as well.

This is the package that yum update was also trying to install during the upgrade from MySQL 5.0.x to 5.1.x:
"---> Package mysql.i386 0:5.0.77-4.el5_5.3 set to be updated"

The FIX...
rpm -e php-mysql-5.2.13-1.el5.art.i386

...followed by...
yum update 'mysql*'

...allowed me to upgrade from 5.0.x to 5.1.x.

The php-mysql-5.2.13-1.el5.art.i386 is i386-based and was 'forcing' the installation of mysql-5.0.77-4.el5_5.3.i386. Removal of it made the upgrade from 5.0.x to 5.1.x via yum work and removed the dependency.

This helpful tip was helpful in diagnosing the problem:

"Getting rpm to display architecture"[1]

This one is a pretty simple tip, and very useful especially for people using x86_64 systems. Just one line in ~/.rpmmacros will save all sorts of trouble later.

echo "%_query_all_fmt %%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}" >> ~/.rpmmacros

[1] Source: http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/YumAndRPM

I hope this post has helped you too.

Have a great day!
FutureTV
New Forum User
New Forum User

Re: yum update to MySQL 5.1.43 causes dependency problems [F

Unread post by FutureTV »

Arg, I just noticed the username/handle I made is "FutureTV" which has to do with the Future of Television. However, I realize that it may look to mean that I'm going to be a TV in the Future. Login handle Fail! I'll be changing this ASAP. :oops: