PHP Upgrade from 5.1.6 to 5.3.2 in Plesk Panel 9.5

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
blueshines
Forum User
Forum User

PHP Upgrade from 5.1.6 to 5.3.2 in Plesk Panel 9.5

Unread post by blueshines »

Hi,

We tried to upgrade PHP version from 5.1.6 which is originally in Plesk 9.5 to 5.3.2, we follow the link that Parallels team suggested to us: http://www.atomicorp.com/wiki/index.php/PHP, it took almost 2 hours to complete.

it shows error below:

Error Downloading Packages:
tzdata-java-2010i-1.el5.x86_64: failure: RPMS/tzdata-java-2010i-1.el5.x86_64.rpm from updates: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
krb5-workstation-1.6.1-36.el5_5.4.x86_64: failure: RPMS/krb5-workstation-1.6.1-36.el5_5.4.x86_64.rpm from updates: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
lcms-1.18-0.1.beta1.el5_3.2.i386: failure: CentOS/lcms-1.18-0.1.beta1.el5_3.2.i386.rpm from base: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
grep-2.5.1-55.el5.x86_64: failure: CentOS/grep-2.5.1-55.el5.x86_64.rpm from base: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
libsmbclient-3.0.33-3.29.el5_5.x86_64: failure: RPMS/libsmbclient-3.0.33-3.29.el5_5.x86_64.rpm from updates: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

Any idea what would be the problem? please advice.

Thanks.
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Re: PHP Upgrade from 5.1.6 to 5.3.2 in Plesk Panel 9.5

Unread post by faris »

"No More Mirrors to Try" means that Yum is having problems connecting to any repositories to find the files in question.

Looking at the packages causing the error, they are nothing to do with php. It sounds to me like your system may have been very out of date to start with - especially if it took 2 hours to do the updates up to this point.

To take one example, tzdata-java-2010i-1.el5.x86_64 was released in April. It is in the standard Centos repositories, so if your system is having problems finding it, then something worrying is going on.

It may be that it is a temporary issue though. Or maybe yum has become confused.

As a work-around, you can download them directly from one of the many mirrors available.
For example this one: http://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/centos/5.5 ... 6_64/RPMS/ then install with rpm -Uvh whatever.rpm

But please be careful. Following my suggestion may cause more problems than you started with. It would be much better to fix your problem with Yum before you start messing around with manual installs. ** It might screw things up big time **. So please wait for someone else to comment on your post, hopefully with more sensible advice than mine.

In the meantime, can you post your /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo in case something has gone wrong with it?

Can it you look at the mirrorlist= line in that file..... are you able to ping the url mentioned from your server? Or try using Lynx to connect and browse it?

Faris.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
blueshines
Forum User
Forum User

I would like to upgrade the PHP version to 5.3.2 in Plesk Panel 9.5, any idea on the steps? Anything we need to take note?

I saw this at Parallels forum, http://kb.parallels.com/en/6670, is that all? Do I need to configure anything in the CP?

Thanks.
blueshines
Forum User
Forum User

Btw, the server OS is CentOS 5.3
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

The parallels KB article you linked to was for Windows.

To upgrade PHP you need to follow the original instructions you pointed to in your first post.

But you need to resolve the problems you are having with Yum before you continue.

Faris.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
blueshines
Forum User
Forum User

may I know if the atomic website have the version 5.3.2? As I can't find any, can only find the 5.2

Thanks.
Highland
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by Highland »

blueshines wrote:may I know if the atomic website have the version 5.3.2? As I can't find any, can only find the 5.2
5.3 isn't available in atomic yet. It's not even in testing. The main issue is that Zend Optimizer (made by the people who make PHP) is not available for 5.3 and some people rely on that. Ioncube (the other holdup) has had support since January. Apparently Zend Optimizer for 5.3 is still in beta so it might be as soon as this month (not holding my breath tho).

As an interesting FYI, Host Gator (not a client, just found it in a search) just rolled PHP 5.3 out as a Fast CGI solution to their clients this week. So ART isn't really that far behind.
"Its not a mac. I run linux... I'm actually cool." - scott
hostpro2u
New Forum User
New Forum User

Unread post by hostpro2u »

We've successfully upgraded to the PHP 5.2 using yum as mentioned at http://www.atomicorp.com/wiki/index.php/PHP

However, we've received lots of complaints from customers on their PHP site having problem, this only happens if they're using MySQL DB in external server.

Below is the error:

the php library version is different with the existing mysql version

What can we do on this, any advice?

Thanks.
Regards,