Qmail Scanner, SpamAssassin & PSA-Spamassassin

Forum for getting help with Project Gamera, Spamassassin, Clamav, qmail-scanner and other anti-spam tools.
thebitworks
Forum User
Forum User

Qmail Scanner, SpamAssassin & PSA-Spamassassin

Unread post by thebitworks »

Hi All,

I am running a Plesk 8.6 box (Centos 5) with qmail, qmail-scanner, spamassassin (art), clamav and psa-spamassassin and having some difficulties with weirdness that seems to be caused by psa-spamassassin.

The reason we added psa-spamassassin was that we had a few users that wanted to set their own spam filter settings (which seems to be working).

The strange behavior is as follows:
-trying to have spamd log to a separate file and it just won't use the option. Does not matter if I add it in the qmail-scanner.ini or in /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin spamdoptions. If I uninstall psa-spamassassin it seems to work just fine and logs to the separate file, so psa-spamassassin seems to be ignoring what is placed in either of these files.
-spamd never seems to spawn more than 2 children in spite of the fact it is configed for 5.

A side issue, as I don't think this is related to psa-spamassassin is that for the first time ever, we are getting outbound e-mails sent by our clients marked as spam. (If we whitelist (in local.cf) them, that seems to take care of it but is there a better option - we have several hundred different domains we would have to whitelist. I was actually going to try to configure the logging to a separate file to do some debugging when I noticed the above issues showing up.

Is there a proper way to set up qmail-scanner with psa-spamassassin, that I am missing? I followed some directions posted in this forum that were confirmed by some additional sites found in searching the Internet.

Any help, tips or pointers would be much appreciated.
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Re: Qmail Scanner, SpamAssassin & PSA-Spamassassin

Unread post by breun »

qmail-scanner and psa-spamassassin don't integrate AFAIK (we don't use psa-spamassassin). If you're using both, e-mail is getting processed by SpamAssassin twice, in two different setups/configurations. SpamAssassin under qmail-scanner is also used for outbound mail.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
thebitworks
Forum User
Forum User

Actually in respect to getting processed 2X, we have not see that happening at all. Logs indicate the messages get processed 1 time only by spamd, the question really seems to be is psa's spamd using the correct options file.
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

I don't know about psa-spamassassin. I do know that for SpamAssassin via qmail-scanner you'll want to edit SA_SETTINGS in /etc/qmail-scanner.ini and then run qmail-scanner-reconfigure.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
thebitworks
Forum User
Forum User

Yes, we have updated the settings in both qmail-scanner.in and in /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin

This is the qmail-scanner.ini file line:
SA_SETTINGS="-d -c -m5 -H --syslog=/var/log/spamd.log"

And this is the /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin file:
SPAMDOPTIONS="-d -c -m5 -H --syslog=/var/log/spamd.log"

When we simply run spamassassin (after removing psa-spamassassin), this works fine, logs to the proper file, it runs 5 children, etc.
When we reinstall psa-spamassassin, the line seems to be completely ignored. Somewhere plesk is inserting some different spamd options and we can't seem to figure out where they are.
thebitworks
Forum User
Forum User

I finally figured this out and thought I would post the information I found out here, as it may be helpful to someone in the future.

psa-spamassassin reads its options from the psa database in mysql. Changing max children can be done there by simply updating the variable spamfilter_max_children and then restarting spamassassin.

However, there were no options in there for log file, debugging etc. - I guess the folks at Plesk figure we don't or would not possibly need them.

Anyway, to get the log to go where I needed it I did the following:

vi /usr/bin/spamd

:s/spamd.log - that gets you near the default logging definition
find and change my $log_facility = $opt{'syslog'} || 'mail'; to my $log_facility = $opt{'syslog'} || 'file';
a few lines down from there:
find and change my $log_file = "spamd.log"; to my $log_file = "full path and filename of where you want the log"; (make sure that popuser can write to it)

This will continue to work until spamassassin or psa-spamassassin gets updated, then you need to do it again.

As for other options that plesk sets you can do the following:

ps -AF |grep spamd and see what options plesk starts spamd with, those you probably can't modify (well you could, but you would really have to hack on spamd)

I would suspect you could modify spamd to simply default to any other options you might need to run.

Another way to modify how it runs (at least until a psa-spamassassin restart is):
ps -AF |grep spamd
You will get something like:
/usr/bin/spamd --username=popuser --daemonize --nouser-config --helper-home-dir=/var/qmail --max-children 7 --create-prefs --virtual-config-dir=/var/qmail/mailnames/%d/%l/.spamassassin --pidfile=/var/run/spamd/spamd_full.pid --socketpath=/tmp/spamd_full.sock

Then you can simply do a killall -9 spamd

Then paste the command line back out there with your additional or replacement options and restart it. In my case, I simply wanted to start it with --debug=all to check on another problem so I pasted this:

/usr/bin/spamd --username=popuser --daemonize --nouser-config --helper-home-dir=/var/qmail --max-children 7 --create-prefs --virtual-config-dir=/var/qmail/mailnames/%d/%l/.spamassassin --pidfile=/var/run/spamd/spamd_full.pid --socketpath=/tmp/spamd_full.sock --debug=all

and it works great.