mysqlnd on php 5.3.6 / plesk 9.5.4 / centos 5.6

Support/Development for PHP
jorrit
New Forum User
New Forum User

mysqlnd on php 5.3.6 / plesk 9.5.4 / centos 5.6

Unread post by jorrit »

I'm setting up a new server. It came with Plesk 9.5.3 on CentOS 5.6 and I have successfully upgraded as follows:

- Plesk 9.5.4 (through Plesk itself )
- PHP 5.3.6 ( through http://www.atomicorp.com/wiki/index.php/PHP )
- MySQL 5.1 ( through http://www.atomicorp.com/wiki/index.php/Mysql )

It took some additional steps to get it all working (like dumping / reloading psa database) but I thought it was operational.

I had hoped to be able to use the mysqlnd driver, as a work-in-progress site pretty much requires it. Unfortunately it seems like Atomic's PHP 5.3.6 build does not include it, while I thought it would. phpinfo does not list the mysqlnd driver, and a php code test says the mysqlnd specific functions are not available.

Does Atomic have a PHP build with the mysqlnd driver enabled ? Is it planned ? Or is there someway I can enable this myself ? Do I need to rebuild from source ( that's a bit scary on a Plesk system ) ?

Any help / advice is much appreciated !
jorrit
New Forum User
New Forum User

Re: mysqlnd on php 5.3.6 / plesk 9.5.4 / centos 5.6

Unread post by jorrit »

For clarification: the mysqlnd driver is a replacement for libmysql. While it offers some speed and efficiency improvements, the major thing is that it supports async queries, which is a must-have with multi-db-server setups. Not many frameworks support it yet, but the one we use does. I do believe mysqlnd is the future :)
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

I see it listed in the .spec:

http://www4.atomicorp.com/channels/source/php/php.spec

If theres something missing in the implementation there shoot me a patch, and I can update the package.
jorrit
New Forum User
New Forum User

Unread post by jorrit »

Interesting. Unfortunately, I don't know if I'm reading that spec correctly.

I did however install from the "normal" atomic repo today, and "php -m | grep mysql" gives me:

mysql
mysqli
pdo_mysql

Apparently, this should include mysqlnd in the output as well. Furthermore, "php -i | grep mysql" gives me:

--with-mysql=shared,/usr
--with-mysqli=shared,/usr/lib64/mysql/mysql_config
--with-pdo-mysql=shared,/usr/lib64/mysql/mysql_config

This should be:

--with-mysql=mysqlnd
--with-mysqli=mysqlnd
--with-pdo-mysql=mysqlnd

Have I installed from the wrong repo perhaps (test or bleeding needed) ?
jorrit
New Forum User
New Forum User

Unread post by jorrit »

After some further reading, it appears it is the zts version of PHP being built with the spec that uses mysqlnd, and the normal version does not.

I could install the zts version, but that would significantly reduce the modules that can be used, and is not needed with Apache in prefork mode.

After some further thinking however, I do not think the "default" php module should be built with mysqlnd, it may cause problems with some sites. Would it be considered to build a separate PHP5 module with mysqlnd instead of libmysql and name it php-mysqlnd ? See the zts build in the spec on the mysqlnd options. The rest of the configuration can remain exactly the same.

I'm not well versed enough in RPM building to make it myself yet, but if it is not something you guys are willing to do, I guess I'll just have to build PHP from source normally.
scott

Unread post by scott »

Do we know for a fact that it would cause some kind of conflict? I'm not in a position to test this myself, so I'm kind of operating in the dark on it too.
toar
New Forum User
New Forum User

Unread post by toar »

I have the same problem

I install php-zts and configure apache in worker mode. Then i could use mysqlnd but php-pecl extension are not available.
Would it be considered to build a separate PHP5 module with mysqlnd instead of libmysql and name it php-mysqlnd ? See the zts build in the spec on the mysqlnd options. The rest of the configuration can remain exactly the same.
This will be perfect solution for me...