Plesk Small Business Panel - PHP 5.2 or PHP 5.3

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
mcarson
Forum User
Forum User

Plesk Small Business Panel - PHP 5.2 or PHP 5.3

Unread post by mcarson »

First post...

I run several(5) Virtual Private Servers that run various flavors of Plesk. (Plus 1 with no CP)

1) Plesk 9.5.2
2) Plesk 9.5.2
3) Plesk 10.2
4) Plesk 10.2
5) Plesk Small Business Panel 10.2

All have CentOS 5.x

I have configured servers 1-4 with updates to PHP 5.2.x, but being selective with other updates. I use the atomicorp repo.

Due to a client requirement, I have installed Plesk Small Business Panel 10.2 and discovered that this is quite different. "Designed for easy management for small businesses"; Parallels.
However, my first problem is PHP and MySQL. My client requires Drupal and a CRM package (CiviCRM) installed. Both are compatible with PHP 5.3.x and MySQL 5.1.x.
Another requirement (I may avoid this though) is the lack of a supplied Horde Webmail package. This is apparently no longer supported... shame :cry: - kronolith supports iCal.

Please, could someone help?; :?:

Will updating using the atomicorp repo(s) break Plesk Small Business Panel?
If I decide to install PHP 5.2.x, instead of PHP 5.3.x how do I then install MySQL 5.1.x?
Can I do a manual install of Horde, or will this break Plesk?

Thanks in advance.
mcarson
Forum User
Forum User

Re: Plesk Small Business Panel - PHP 5.2 or PHP 5.3

Unread post by mcarson »

Update, solved in part: created a clone (almost) of the server in a local VM with a Plesk 'trial' license...

Updated to php 5.3.6 and MySQL 5.1.57. A few issues with MySQL failing to start.
1) Killed mysql install (rpm -e --nodeps mysql mysql-server), otherwise everything plesk would go :shock:
2) Reinstalled mysql-server from atomic (had to restart to get this to work; odd!)
3) Updated my.cnf and executed the upgrade and optimise scripts
4) Sorted some issues with ioncube, zts, php conflicts and plesk.

Let's hope all the websites run under 5.3... if a big problem, I'll go back to 5.2

Still looking at Horde...
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

mcarson
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by mcarson »

I am aware that there are loadsa excellent guides on the wiki which I have applied successfully in the past.

However, there is nothing that specifically mentions Plesk 10 (Small Business Panel). I was asking so I could identify issues before they occur...

That said, PHP and MySQL latest are working fine on Small Business Panel. In fact, this version of the Panel does not have the changes introduced by Parallels from 9 to 10 with the http/s and subdomain directories and the huge learning curve with customizing the vhosts... big plus on this occasion.