Best route to Upgrade from plesk 8.4

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
proinagltd1
Forum User
Forum User

Best route to Upgrade from plesk 8.4

Unread post by proinagltd1 »

We currently have a dell managed server with Plesk 8.4, Cent OS 5.3, PHP 5.2.9 and MySQL 5.0.83 and ASL of course.

Our hosting provider says migrate over to a new server, which is ok but we have 180domains and Plesk Migrations never goes great.

We could have Plesk 9 on CentOS or Plesk 10 on to Ubuntu 10.04.

I have no experience with Ubuntu and I don’t believe ASL works either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

King regards,

Graham Wallace
laughingbuddha
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Best route to Upgrade from plesk 8.4

Unread post by laughingbuddha »

I've been thinking about upgrading my dedicated server from CentOS 5.x Plesk 8.6 to a newer Plesk release. But to be honest, the thought of upgrading a live production server, scares the heck out of me. SOOOOO many things can go wrong.
Matt

"Given that God is infinite, and that the universe is also infinite... would you like a toasted teacake?"

about.me/mattauckland
twitter.com/mattauckland
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

Take the parallel server route then. After 8.6 there are huge changes going on behind the scenes, internal and external. Set up another box and start migrating a few users to it at first to see how they react, that way you dont get mobbed all once with problems. There will be a lot of what I call "level 0" ones (Where did button X go?) due to the way the interface itself changes.
Highland
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by Highland »

I've never had an issue with the Migration manager. It works pretty well and, because it's only copying data, you don't have to worry about something being messed up.
"Its not a mac. I run linux... I'm actually cool." - scott
proinagltd1
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by proinagltd1 »

Many Thanks

I'm warming to the second server solution. The migration fails for me on Mysql Stored prodecues and views dont know why. no a big problem.

Our hosting comany to give us a new server wants to increase our hosting costs by over 40%!

Would security updates come under most managed server contracts?