Some IPs to add to your firewall

General Discussion of atomic repo and development projects.

Ask for help here with anything else not covered by other forums.
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Some IPs to add to your firewall

Unread post by faris »

Well...one of our sites went from a few megs to 9Gb transfer usage almost overnight. In the logs, I found loads of entries from suhosin about "variable name length limits" being exceeded, along with the IPs in question. These all pointed back to MCI/Verizon in the US.

At that point I drew a blank, and informed the customer (one of our best/nicest/most wonderful) of my findings, and asked him if he had any clues because I certainly didn't.

He did some research and found http://www.katsbits.com/smforum/index.php?topic=293.0 which mentions a number of the IPs in question. [ Light Bulb! ]

It makes interesting reading. There's a bunch of IPs in there that I'd recommend adding to your firewalls to prevent this. Gods, I wonder if it was related to my Google AdSense banning? Surely Google would have noticed something like that and would not blame the webmaster.

Anyway...I've blocked the /24 on each of those ranges rather than just the ones mentioned, as a temporary measure. Unfortunately I can't figure out the /subnets to use and I'd rather not enter all those IPs individually, but I'll bite the bullet tomorrow and do so.

[EDIT: p.s. some, but not all, listed on project honeypot as "rule breakers" ]
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>