psa-proftpd-1.3.4a-1.el5.art x86_64 missing DSO support?

General Discussion of atomic repo and development projects.

Ask for help here with anything else not covered by other forums.
burnleyvic
Forum User
Forum User

psa-proftpd-1.3.4a-1.el5.art x86_64 missing DSO support?

Unread post by burnleyvic »

Hi,

on CentOS 6 I don't have this problem with psa-proftpd-1.3.4a-1.el6.art.x86_64, but on 5 I can't load modules.

uname -rmv
2.6.18-028stab079.1 #1 SMP Sat Nov 27 00:29:50 MSK 2010 x86_64

psa-proftpd-1.3.4a-1.el5.art

/usr/sbin/proftpd -l| sort
Compiled-in modules:
mod_auth.c
mod_auth_file.c
mod_auth_pam.c
mod_auth_unix.c
mod_cap.c
mod_core.c
mod_delay.c
mod_facts.c
mod_ident.c
mod_lang.c
mod_log.c
mod_ls.c
mod_quotatab.c
mod_quotatab_file.c
mod_ratio.c
mod_readme.c
mod_site.c
mod_tls.c
mod_xfer.c

/usr/sbin/proftpd -V
Compile-time Settings:
Version: 1.3.3e (maint)
Platform: LINUX [Linux 2.6.18-028stab079.1 x86_64]
Built: Tue Nov 22 2011 13:49:51 NOVT
Built With:
configure '--with-modules=mod_ratio:mod_readme:mod_quotatab:mod_quotatab_file:mod_tls' '--enable-nls' '--enable-auth-pam' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-ipv6' '--enable-buffer-size=8192' '--prefix=/usr' '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib64' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--sharedstatedir=/usr/com' '--localstatedir=/var/run/proftpd' '--libdir=/usr/lib64' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--build=x86_64-redhat-linux' '--host=x86_64-redhat-linux' 'build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux' 'host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux' 'CC=gcc' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -g -m64 -mtune=generic' 'LDFLAGS=' 'CPPFLAGS=-O2 -g -m64 -mtune=generic'

CFLAGS: -O2 -g -m64 -mtune=generic -Wall
LDFLAGS: -L$(top_srcdir)/lib
LIBS: -lssl -lcrypto -L$(top_srcdir)/lib/libcap -lcap -lssl -lcrypto -lpam -lsupp -lcrypt -ldl -ldl

Files:
Configuration File:
/etc/proftpd.conf
Pid File:
/var/run/proftpd/proftpd.pid
Scoreboard File:
/var/run/proftpd/proftpd.scoreboard

Features:
- Autoshadow support
- Controls support
+ curses support
- Developer support
- DSO support
+ IPv6 support
+ Largefile support
- Lastlog support
+ ncursesw support
+ NLS support
+ OpenSSL support
- POSIX ACL support
+ Shadow file support
+ Sendfile support
+ Trace support

Tunable Options:
PR_TUNABLE_BUFFER_SIZE = 8192
PR_TUNABLE_DEFAULT_RCVBUFSZ = 8192
PR_TUNABLE_DEFAULT_SNDBUFSZ = 8192
PR_TUNABLE_GLOBBING_MAX_MATCHES = 100000
PR_TUNABLE_GLOBBING_MAX_RECURSION = 8
PR_TUNABLE_HASH_TABLE_SIZE = 40
PR_TUNABLE_NEW_POOL_SIZE = 512
PR_TUNABLE_SCOREBOARD_BUFFER_SIZE = 80
PR_TUNABLE_SCOREBOARD_SCRUB_TIMER = 30
PR_TUNABLE_SELECT_TIMEOUT = 30
PR_TUNABLE_TIMEOUTIDENT = 10
PR_TUNABLE_TIMEOUTIDLE = 600
PR_TUNABLE_TIMEOUTLINGER = 30
PR_TUNABLE_TIMEOUTLOGIN = 300
PR_TUNABLE_TIMEOUTNOXFER = 300
PR_TUNABLE_TIMEOUTSTALLED = 3600
PR_TUNABLE_XFER_SCOREBOARD_UPDATES = 10
burnleyvic
Forum User
Forum User

Re: psa-proftpd-1.3.4a-1.el5.art x86_64 missing DSO support?

No answers yet. Is this package actively maintained? Any idea why DSO support is missing?
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

It definitely is using DSO's now, the clamav module for example is one. I'm not sure what you're running into yet but if you want to take a look at the src.rpm its here:

www4.atomicorp.com/channels/source/psa-proftpd/
burnleyvic
Forum User
Forum User

scott wrote:It definitely is using DSO's now, the clamav module for example is one. I'm not sure what you're running into yet but if you want to take a look at the src.rpm its here:

www4.atomicorp.com/channels/source/psa-proftpd/
Scott,

I looked in the spec file and looks alright. However, on my CentOS 5 installation running psa-proftpd-1.3.4a-1.el5.art and psa-proftpd-mod_sftp-1.3.4a-1.el5.art I get this:

/usr/sbin/proftpd -vv
- Fatal: unknown configuration directive 'LoadModule' on line 2 of '/etc/proftpd-sftp.conf'

It looks like, for some reason, my installation is missing dso support, after looking at my initial post also. Suggestions?

L.E. I found the source of the problem. On all my Plesk 10.4 servers running on CentOS 5 I have psa-proftpd-1.3.4a-1.el5.art installed. All the installed binaries are identical with what's in psa-proftpd-1.3.4a-1.el5.art.x86_64.rpm rpm package, except for one and that's /usr/sbin/proftpd. Looks like, for whatever reason, Parallels overwrites this binary with one that's missing dso support. Once I reinstalled psa-proftpd package the problem went away. Sorry for the noise.
scott

Unread post by scott »

You know it just clicked with me on that too. I think I had started working on a self healing module for that, I know older ASL installs can already do this because they did not use ifmodule directives around the the Clamav DSO. It detects that and runs a yum reinstall psa-proftpd event. That ifmodule code was removed I think in .19 to bring turn that bug into a feature :P

I think all you'd need to do to get this in place on your sytem is to remove /etc/proftp-asl.conf and run asl -s -f
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

burnleyvic wrote:Looks like, for whatever reason, Parallels overwrites this binary with one that's missing dso support. Once I reinstalled psa-proftpd package the problem went away.
Ah. This makes sense now. Breun flagged this up a while ago. I didn't know the guys had added some code to deal with it - great stuff Scott! I'll be sure to remove that config file and asl -s -f on all my systems, just in case.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
scott

Unread post by scott »

The trigger is if /etc/proftp-asl.conf just says:
ClamAV on
ClamServer 127.0.0.1
ClamPort 3310

if it has the if_module (or whatever, I forget the syntax) around that, it wont trigger the error message which then triggers the self-healing rule. For a few versions of ASL, we had those stanzas in there (up to 3.0.19 I think) so new installations would have created the config that way.

This is one of those situations where doing it the wrong way is really the right way :P
burnleyvic
Forum User
Forum User

scott wrote:You know it just clicked with me on that too. I think I had started working on a self healing module for that, I know older ASL installs can already do this because they did not use ifmodule directives around the the Clamav DSO. It detects that and runs a yum reinstall psa-proftpd event. That ifmodule code was removed I think in .19 to bring turn that bug into a feature :P

I think all you'd need to do to get this in place on your sytem is to remove /etc/proftp-asl.conf and run asl -s -f
scott, we're not using ASL (should we, perhaps? :)), just stock CentOS. I described the Parallels stuff-up here: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=257843 and they're working on fixing that botched binary.
OTOH, given Parallels record, file integrity checks are a must.
scott

Unread post by scott »

Without ASL.... You...Are....The.....Self-healing module! :P