Active Response not working

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
seriouslycr8ive
Forum User
Forum User

Active Response not working

Unread post by seriouslycr8ive »

I just lost my server for an hour from a DOS, OSSEC noted the issues but didn't shun the IP Address. Not sure what I am doing wrong but this has been happening too much lately, twice in the last 24. Any suggestions?

[edit] I should mention there was multiple FTP attempts and lots of mail attempts from the same ip
Attachments
these are my active response settings
these are my active response settings
activeResponse.png (44.47 KiB) Viewed 5834 times
This is a screen shot of the OSSEC logging the attacker
This is a screen shot of the OSSEC logging the attacker
server_issue.png (229.68 KiB) Viewed 5834 times
prupert
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Active Response not working

Unread post by prupert »

Verify that rule 40111 has active response set to enabled. (This is the default)

Grep the log file /var/ossec/logs/active-responses.log for occurrences of rule 40111 (or the IP of the attacker). All active responses are logged into this file. If it is logged here, but you are certain that the IP was not in fact shunned, something else is going wrong (firewall perhaps), ASL support might be able to help.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
seriouslycr8ive
Forum User
Forum User

Re: Active Response not working

Unread post by seriouslycr8ive »

thanks, I checked and rule 40111 does have active response turned on, and I did a grep on that ip and it returned nothing. I should note, maybe it's related, my system isn't tracking attacks.
Attachments
Not tracking attacks
Not tracking attacks
attacks.png (84.39 KiB) Viewed 5815 times
active response
active response
ar.png (44.11 KiB) Viewed 5815 times