qmail - how to disable ident lookups?

General Discussion of atomic repo and development projects.

Ask for help here with anything else not covered by other forums.
placain

qmail - how to disable ident lookups?

Unread post by placain »

Can anyone tell me how to disable qmail's ident lookups? I'm unfamiliar with how Plesk has qmail set to run, where its config files are, etc, and ident lookups are making incoming SMTP connections time out.
placain

Unread post by placain »

Found it myself... from http://faq.sw-soft.com/index.php?ToDo=v ... 2&catId=61
The wrapper /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env that plesk uses in front of qmail is sending an ident (port 113) request back to the host originating the connection. If the originating host is running a firewall which drops packets instead of sending rejects, tcp-env waits 25 seconds for a response before timing out. The new Windows Firewall which ships with Windows XP SP2 behaves this You can tell tcp-env to stop waiting for ident responses by adding the -R parameter to it's server_args in /etc/xinetd.d/smtp_psa, like this:

server = /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
server_args = -R /var/qmail/bin/relaylock ....
however, if you have (as I do) the rblsmtpd enabled, the -R will be going in front of that instead, like this:

Code: Select all

server          = /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
        server_args     = -R /usr/sbin/rblsmtpd  -r bl.spamcop.net -r relays.ordb.org -r opm.blitzed.org /var/qmail/bin/relaylock /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd /var/qmail/bin/smtp_auth /var/qmail/bin/true /var/qmail/bin/cmd5checkpw /var/qmail/bin/true
Can anyone comment on whether that will get blown away by Plesk if the relays you use are changed in the web interface? Is there someplace better to change this? Or should I just keep this in the back of my mind somewhere that I need to re-edit this file if I ever change those?