Which OS to use ?

General Discussion of atomic repo and development projects.

Ask for help here with anything else not covered by other forums.
kilgore
Forum User
Forum User

Which OS to use ?

Unread post by kilgore »

Dear,

I'm currently running Redhat 9 server with Plesk 7 Reloaded. I'm going to have new 10 new Plesk Reloaded server and I'm hesitating for the OS.

Is RH9 still well supported ? Should I prefer using Fedora Core 1 or another OS ?

Best regards,

Kilgore
TutanGeek

Unread post by TutanGeek »

RH9 is still supported to run plesk, but not still supported by red hat for anything.

Plesk also supports Fedora Core 1/2, SuSE, and ES, but starting this month they say that they will also support Debian, Mandrake, and FreeBSD.

Personally, I've been thinking of side-grading my RH9/Plesk 7.5 server to Debian Sarge.
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

RH9 is supported by the Fedoralegacy.org project, and a host of 3rd party maintainers (Dag Wieer, Livna, AT's rpms, me, etc) and will continue to be until mid 2006 at the least. So if you want to stick with rh9, by all means do so. Its still the biggest distro out there and its going to be supported.

Personally Im using RH9 on my primary hosting systems, and FC3 on my Project Gamera servers. Some other distro's that I like are the 3ES clones, like CentOS, Tao, and Whitebox. My 3ES archive is in fact a whitebox. Those Distro's should have a 5 year shelf life in terms of updates and support.

Distro's I support are:
Rh9
3ES (and its clones, Whitebox, Tao, CentOS, etc)
FC1, FC2, and FC3