Squirrelmail character encoding problem

General Discussion of atomic repo and development projects.

Ask for help here with anything else not covered by other forums.
bearkuma

Squirrelmail character encoding problem

Unread post by bearkuma »

Good day,

I've been pulling my hair out for the past 4 months or so trying to get either Horde or art's Squirrelmail package to display Japanese characters correctly. I've essentially given up on Horde (it's a bit ridiculous that Japanese is a language option for the interface, but the Plesk version of Horde doesn't handle the characters at all)

More recently I'm working with art's Squirrelmail 1.4.2 which does seem to be able to send characters and read them correctly, but when the 'Japanese' language option is selected you can read only the message contents... the Squirrelmail interface is garbage characters. It is the opposite if the interface language is set to English, you can read the interface but the message content is garbage (regardless of which Japanese encoding you choose).

Considering that Horde never sent a message with it's content correct I am much more hopeful of making Squirrelmail work. I installed the latest Squirrelmail from their website on a non-Plesk server and it works beautifully in all respects.

Has anyone had any experience with Japanese webmail?? Does anyone have any ideas at all? I'm going nuts here .

Thanks,

Steve
Trend New Technologies
Osaka, Japan
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

Thats definitely not anything I've ever set up before, but as a guess I think you need to be using php with mbstring compiled in (mine do) to start with. I assume you've already got that in place?
bearkuma

Squirrelmail + PHP with mbstring

Unread post by bearkuma »

Yep, the server is otherwise completely bilingual. All the websites (PHP included) handle the character encoding properly. This in itself was a bit of a headache, but nothing like what I have encountered trying to get the webmail to work.

Like I mentioned in my previous post I installed the latest squirrelmail on another non-Plesk server and it seemed to cooperate very nicely with the Japanese. Is there any way that I can modify that version for use with Plesk? Is it ridiculously difficult what you have done to modify the existing art squirrelmail rpm?

Thanks,

Steve
Trend New Technologies
Osaka, Japan
scott

Unread post by scott »

The source is all there to screw around with, so yeah you can change it. As I recall all I did in it was to add in the spamassassin plugin.