how to interpret the ossec active response log

Customer support forums for Atomic Protector (formerly Atomic Secured Linux). There is no such thing as a bad question here as long as it pertains to using Atomic Protector. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)
hostingguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

how to interpret the ossec active response log

Unread post by hostingguy »

Hi,

I had a client call in today and say they couldn't access the server and the first thing I thought of was that they got shunned by ossec. Looking through the logs I do see that they got blocked, but I was wondering what the lines in the log file mean and how to use this to trace down to the reason why they were blocked with out having to grep through every access_log or security audit file. Eventually I did find it by doing a grep through the audit logs but I was wondering if there is an easier way to find this out using the data in this log file.

Code: Select all

Mon Jun 17 07:30:36 PDT 2013 /var/ossec/active-response/bin/asl-shun.pl add - xx.xx.xx.xx 1371479436.3327886 60118
Mon Jun 17 07:30:36 PDT 2013 /var/ossec/active-response/bin/host-deny.sh add - xx.xx.xx.xx 1371479436.3327886 60118
Mon Jun 17 08:19:16 PDT 2013 /var/ossec/active-response/bin/asl-shun.pl delete - xx.xx.xx.xx 1371479436.3327886 60118
Mon Jun 17 08:19:16 PDT 2013 /var/ossec/active-response/bin/host-deny.sh delete - xx.xx.xx.xx 1371479436.3327886 60118
Mon Jun 17 08:34:05 PDT 2013 /var/ossec/active-response/bin/asl-shun.pl add - xx.xx.xx.xx 1371483245.3777287 60118
Mon Jun 17 08:34:05 PDT 2013 /var/ossec/active-response/bin/host-deny.sh add - xx.xx.xx.xx 1371483245.3777287 60118
mikeshinn
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Re: how to interpret the ossec active response log

Unread post by mikeshinn »

hostingguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks Mike, One thing I noticed is that in that logging it mentioned the rule 60118
grep 60118 /var/ossec/etc/rules.d/*
/var/ossec/etc/rules.d/50_asl_general_rules.xml: <rule id="60118" level="7">
Which doesn't really tell me much other than ModSec blocked it.

Code: Select all

# grep -B1 -A7 60118 /var/ossec/etc/rules.d/50_asl_general_rules.xml

<rule id="60118" level="7">
    <if_sid>60101</if_sid>
    <match>Access denied</match>
    <description>Access attempt blocked by Mod Security.</description>
    <group>access_denied,</group>
  </rule>

<rule id="60119" level="12" frequency="6" timeframe="120">
    <if_matched_sid>60118</if_matched_sid>
    <same_source_ip />
    <description>Multiple attempts blocked by Mod Security.</description>
    <group>access_denied,</group>
  </rule>
prupert
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by prupert »

It is a general rule that is used to do a shun after a modsec event. Check your asl event list for more specifics, such as the modsec rule id.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
hostingguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I dont know what that means, if that is not available in the CLI then our support wont be able to access it. The ASL GUI is pretty much worthless since it never loads and as such we have never really used it more than 2 or 3 times in the last few years (combined over dozens of servers).
prupert
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by prupert »

60118 is not a modsec rule, it is a catch-all for modsec rules so ASL can loop in OSSEC to do the shunning.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
hostingguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Alright, I apologize if I am not being clear.

My original request was to understand what rule in mod sec this triggered, possibly even what vhost, or audit file, etc - something that makes it easy to find a log entry like this
Mon Jun 17 07:30:36 PDT 2013 /var/ossec/active-response/bin/asl-shun.pl add - xx.xx.xx.xx 1371479436.3327886 60118
and turn around and tell the client why they were blocked.

So far everything everyone has told me says to look at the rule in the log - the last entry, which in this case is 60118. Well for diagnostics, that rule isnt helping because it doesn't tell you anything useful. So I still have the same query - how can I use the log entries in here to quickly find the reason the user was blocked with out having to grep the entire audit log directories?
mikeshinn

Unread post by mikeshinn »

how can I use the log entries in here to quickly find the reason the user was blocked with out having to grep the entire audit log directories?
You need to use the web console for that. The logs do not provide that level of detail.
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

If you can't get into the GUI then something is seriously wrong.

There was a short timeframe when it was difficult to login -- it took ages -- but that's long gone now. If you still can't login then something needs to be looked at regarding this.

The logs are all available in plain text in /var/asl/data/audit/[date]/[date-time]/[date-time-unique]

So if you: grep -ri 'ip-address' /var/asl/data/audit/[date]
You'll find the logs that contain the IP, and you can then investigate in more detail.

At least that's how things are on our systems. There may be a configuration option that enables/prevents this, or there may not.

*** In addition, or instead, you can have all events over a certain level emailed to you. This is how it is set by default, in fact. If you set your email client to put all those emails in one folder, you can then search by IP and find the events that triggered things.

But you may have to set asl to send an email alert at level 5 or maybe even lower in order to catch everything this way. If you do, make sure you also set asl to only send on email (digest) per hour, so you don't get overwhelemed. Maybe even set up a special gmail address specifically for this purpose to avoid clogging your own mailbox?

I
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
hostingguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unfortunately like I mentioned the web console doesnt work - it never loads and virtually anything we open in there doesnt work either except for the ASL config page, thats the only item that seems to come up right away. On some servers it takes about half hour to load the opening page and the items on it, some takes upwards of 2 hours, and the vast majority of them never load.

This pretty much makes the console not usable.
We really need a way to accomplish the tasks done via the console and am a little surprised we cant despite the length of time since the roll out of the GUI. Something simple like turning off logging or emailing of certain rules. This is fine for one box, but we have dozens - we cant login to each one and do it manually, that is way too much work.
craigedmonds
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by craigedmonds »

hostingguy wrote:Unfortunately like I mentioned the web console doesnt work - it never loads and virtually anything we open in there doesnt work either except for the ASL config page, thats the only item that seems to come up right away. On some servers it takes about half hour to load the opening page and the items on it, some takes upwards of 2 hours, and the vast majority of them never load.

This pretty much makes the console not usable.
We really need a way to accomplish the tasks done via the console and am a little surprised we cant despite the length of time since the roll out of the GUI. Something simple like turning off logging or emailing of certain rules. This is fine for one box, but we have dozens - we cant login to each one and do it manually, that is way too much work.
I have the same issue on 3 different servers. The GUI takes around30-60 seconds to load and when I am typing an ip into the search box it always says "no results" even though someone is appearing on the blocklist (which means its recent).