Calling out all ASL/cPanel users: recommended ASL config?

Customer support forums for Atomic Protector (formerly Atomic Secured Linux). There is no such thing as a bad question here as long as it pertains to using Atomic Protector. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)
fabioganga
New Forum User
New Forum User

Calling out all ASL/cPanel users: recommended ASL config?

Unread post by fabioganga »

Dear friends at Atomicorp and friends of the forum,

I have happily being using ASL 3.2.14-31 with cPanel 11.40 on my CentOS 6.4 64bit system with the ASL secure kernel, and I'm loving it every day more and more.

I'm a very small hosting provider, and I run things pretty much on my own, along with external freelancers hired as and when needed.

As I'm still very new to ASL, I have tried to research here on the forum some insight on recommended configuration of ASL with a cPanel server, but I have found a variety of very useful posts but no recommended configuration from users or staff.

At present, I have, as per recommendation, uninstalled mod_security and clamv from within cPanel, as I wish ASL only to deal with that.

As my system also uses WHMCS (although I am looking for a viable option to scrap it entirely because of its poor security), I have to leave the curl_exec feature active as it's needed by its licensing system.

I understand each system is different and each sys admin works differently, but I would definitely welcome it loads if cPanel users out there would share their configuration with me (stripped of any sensitive data of course, if present) or recommend some tips/hints that they have experienced themselves.

Many thanks to all!

Fabio
fabioganga
New Forum User
New Forum User

Re: Calling out all ASL/cPanel users: recommended ASL config

Unread post by fabioganga »

up

nobody uses cPanel and ASL just like me? :shock:
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Re: Calling out all ASL/cPanel users: recommended ASL config

Unread post by scott »

Some common things to avoid you already pointed out, avoid using cpanel managed mod_security (we have hooks to help automatically do this already), and clamav.

Don't use apache 2.4, which we document in the pre-reqs. Support modules havent caught up with this yet, not to mention the ones that have arent performing very well. Things are improving though, I suspect other modules will catch up with it in the next few quarters.

Do use the ASL kernel, as a number of services on cpanel are not compiled with compiler & library level stack protections. This is a significant reduction in security posture over the vendor distributed packages, plus the kernels method is far more advanced than the compiler level protections. BTW- We'll have a vulnerability scanner to ID this soon, but its the obvious ones things like the cpanel httpd, php, and mysql packages