MySQL Problem?

General Discussion of atomic repo and development projects.

Ask for help here with anything else not covered by other forums.
Troy McClure
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

MySQL Problem?

Unread post by Troy McClure »

I was developing a application today and out of nowhere got this error
Got error 28 from storage engine
I checked this error and it is a disk space error. I checked other applications and all were down. I'm not sure if the Admin interface was down or not. I restarted MySQL through ssh and the problem went away. Is this something I need to worry about? I checked my disk space and it seems I shouldn't have a problem there. Any ideas? Thanks.

Oh I am running mysql-4.1.15-1.rhfc2.art
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

Are you using a separate partition for /var? If that fills up that could cause that message.
Troy McClure
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I guess I should have given more details. I have a 1and1 root server. /var is a seperate partition. Plesk reports this partition as being 78.81% full. Should I worry that it is too full at 78%?
Troy McClure
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I also noticed that my Memory Usage is very high. I know it is usually high, but it is up at about 98%. Could memory cause this error to occur?
scott

Unread post by scott »

Yes on both counts. 1and1 made a bad decision on that layout, /var is where mysql stores its databases, updates from up2date/yum, and the system logs are stored. If that fills up generally it causes a lot of unstability on the system.

Also if you exceed the max memory + swap, services will start to die on the system, the system could crawl to a near halt, or even reboot.
Troy McClure
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks Scott. I haven't had this happen again. My memory does seem to be extremely high though. I have been monitoring it more closely since this happened. I appreciate the info.