Installing YUM

General Discussion of atomic repo and development projects.

Ask for help here with anything else not covered by other forums.
pknutsen
New Forum User
New Forum User

Installing YUM

Unread post by pknutsen »

Sorry in advance for posing a question that may have an obvious answer. I am all new to YUM and tried to install it from an RPM, but got the following errors;

libxml2-python is needed by yum-2.0.3-0.fdr.1.rh90
rpm-python >= 0:4.1.1 is needed by yum-2.0.3-0.fdr.1.rh90

My server runs Fedora Core 2 and Plesk 7.5. I want to install YUM so that PHP and MySQL can be upgraded.

1 - Can someone recommend an appropriate RPM for installing YUM? (it is oddly enough not already installed)
2 - Can someone give a brief instruction how to use YUM to update to PHP 4.3.4 and MySQL 4.0?
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

Like the error states: you'll need to install libxml2-python and rpm-python, because yum depends on those packages. Possibly those packages in turn also require some dependencies (I don't know). Once you have everything installed you'll be able to use yum and never deal with 'dependecy hell' again. Judging from what you're trying to install I think you're running RH9, so I'd check out something like http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/9/os/i386/ for the packages you need to install yum.

yum documentation: http://www.fedora.redhat.com/docs/yum/

Edit: I'm sorry, you said you're running FC2, not RH9. However, you were trying to install yum for RedHat 9 judging from the rpm name.
Last edited by breun on Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pknutsen
New Forum User
New Forum User

ok, i am trudging through all the dependencies (and there are a lot) in order to install YUM. I got stuck at this error message and am not sure how to proceed. Can anyone suggest what to do here?

I am trying to install libxml2_2 and get;

file /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2 from install of libxml2_2-2.6.22-1_21.rhfc2.at conflicts with file from package libxml2-2.6.16-2
pknutsen
New Forum User
New Forum User

I am getting stuck on dependencies here... There are so many and I am so inexperienced with this that I smell trouble from afar... Can anyone suggest some decent consultant that can take on the job of getting YUM installed?
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

You're trying to install both the original distro version and the version from the ATrpms repository. Since you're not already using yum I'm guessing that you installed that ATrpms by manually downloading and installing it? Or were you using a different package manager (apt? up2date?) before that uses the ATrpms repository?

If you're using ATrpms, you might want to get the ATrpms version yum as well. Check out http://dl.atrpms.net/rh9-i386/atrpms/RPMS.stable/ and get yum-2.4.2-68.rh9.at.i386.rpm (currently the latest version available there).

If you're not really following ATrpms you might want to remove the ATrpms version from your system (using rpm -e) and try again.

I guess installing yum is something most Red Hat consultants can do for you. You could even ask me (nils =at= lemonbit =dot= nl). :)

Edit: these instructions are for RH9, not for FC2.