Should MYSQL old_password =1 with ART PHP RPMS?

General Discussion of atomic repo and development projects.

Ask for help here with anything else not covered by other forums.
acidbox
Forum User
Forum User

Should MYSQL old_password =1 with ART PHP RPMS?

Unread post by acidbox »

If I'm running the art PHP 4 rpms, should I have "Set-variable = old_password=1" in my.cnf? I have had issues where it tells me the client is out of date and I have had to update the password individually in the mysql console via the OLD_PASSWORD() function.

Is this an issue?
Later,

acidbox

Plesk 7.5.4 RHEL3
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

Yes you'll need to use old_passwords on an upgrade. Put the following in /etc/my.cnf:

[mysqld]
old_passwords=1
acidbox
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by acidbox »

Scott,

Is this because of a limitation by PHP, or just backwards compatibility with MySQL 3.2?

If disable old_passwords=1 and I create a script to update each domain by resetting the password with PASSWORD() instead of OLD_PASSWORD(), will PHP work normally?

The problem I'm having right now is that every time you create a MySQL database in plesk, you have to manually run the OLD_PASSWORD() query in mysql or phpMyAdmin in order to use that DB with PHP.

What's the best way to get off the old_passwords?

Thanks for your help.
Later,

acidbox

Plesk 7.5.4 RHEL3
scott

Unread post by scott »

Thats probably a question better aimed at a DBA, but I suspect the best way to do it is to dump out all your databases. Remove everything from mysql completely (yum remove mysql-server, rm -rf /var/lib/mysql) and then reinstall with mysql 4.1, and re-import all your data.

Thats the lazy way to do it, I suspect you could probably just redo the mysql database as well.
acidbox
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by acidbox »

I think there has to be an easier way to do that. To me, that doesn't seem feasable on a production server.
Later,

acidbox

Plesk 7.5.4 RHEL3
scott

Unread post by scott »

Yeah like I said, thats the lazy way. Its probably not the right way, but its definitely the one that involves the least amount of time.