Safest way to upgrade Apache to 2.0.55 on RHEL3?

General Discussion of atomic repo and development projects.

Ask for help here with anything else not covered by other forums.
acidbox
Forum User
Forum User

Safest way to upgrade Apache to 2.0.55 on RHEL3?

Unread post by acidbox »

Is there a safe way to upgrade apache without breaking anything in Plesk?

Right now we're on .46, and I'd like to get .55 if possible.
Later,

acidbox

Plesk 7.5.4 RHEL3
jetblacktib
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by jetblacktib »

I too am interested in learning this. Apparently eWeek did a bench mark test and found significant improvement to warrant the upgrade for high traffic servers.
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

The safest way would be to stick with the vendor supplied packages. Note that the versions of apache distributed by redhat/centos are somewhat misleading. Redhat will backport fixes from newer versions into older packages, so in general you're really running a hybrid version of the application. For example, RHEL3 ships 2.0.46, however it contains code updates from 2.0.54.

Another option would be to try and build the newer src.rpm's from FC4 or FC5 on the system. Thats generally where I start when Im adding a package or an update to my archive. I did try this a while back on apache, and as I recall I needed to change a lot of packages on 3ES to get it to build correctly.
acidbox
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by acidbox »

The problem I'm having is the fact that I'm trying to run the newest version of mod_python, but it's only compatibly with version 2.0.47+. If you don't have this version you get a nasty error.
Later,

acidbox

Plesk 7.5.4 RHEL3