AOOI dev tree

General Discussion of atomic repo and development projects.

Ask for help here with anything else not covered by other forums.
Zanoryt
Forum User
Forum User

Re: AOOI dev tree

Unread post by Zanoryt »

Scott,

I tried local several times yesterday using a different mirror. It downloaded the isos just fine to sda2, but, then the anaconda failed because it couldn't find the ks cfg in hd:sda2:blah.cfg, even though it was there!!!

-Kevin
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

hmm... I wonder if its coming up with a different device name. One way to get past this is to log into the serial console and then do the install from there.
Zanoryt
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by Zanoryt »

Yeah, it's from the serial console that I know it can't find the cfg. The device name doesn't change, since it's the only SCSI drive available. Unless, perhaps the installer kernel doesn't have support for the RAID device (hardware raid in the 1&1 Enterprise II server).

-Kevin
scott

Unread post by scott »

It very well could be, you should be able to see the messages indicating what disks and partitions it can see if you scroll back through the install output.
Zanoryt
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by Zanoryt »

Hrm, I think our wires crossed somewhere. I'm unable to look at an install log, since it's not able to install :) The aooi script runs, wgets the cd images, disables swap and mkfs.vfat's it, and copies the isos and cfg to it. On reboot, the kernel boots, but then hangs at the installer saying that it can't find the cfg even though it's technically on the sda2 vfat partition.

I believe they have Areca SATA raid controllers in the Enterprise II servers, according to dmesg on the 1&1 provided kernel:

[ 5.890184] ARECA RAID ADAPTER0: FIRMWARE VERSION V1.44 2008-2-1
[ 5.930150] scsi0 : Areca SATA Host Adapter RAID Controller
[ 5.930151] Driver Version 1.20.00.15 2008/02/27
[ 5.952643] scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access Areca ARC-1110-VOL#00 R001 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
[ 5.972390] scsi 0:0:16:0: Processor Areca RAID controller R001 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0

Does the atomic kernel have support for it?

-Kevin
scott

Unread post by scott »

Hrm, I think our wires crossed somewhere. I'm unable to look at an install log, since it's not able to install :) The aooi script runs, wgets the cd images, disables swap and mkfs.vfat's it, and copies the isos and cfg to it. On reboot, the kernel boots, but then hangs at the installer saying that it can't find the cfg even though it's technically on the sda2 vfat partition.
Youd have to modify grub.conf to not point to it I believe.
I believe they have Areca SATA raid controllers in the Enterprise II servers, according to dmesg on the 1&1 provided kernel:

[ 5.890184] ARECA RAID ADAPTER0: FIRMWARE VERSION V1.44 2008-2-1
[ 5.930150] scsi0 : Areca SATA Host Adapter RAID Controller
[ 5.930151] Driver Version 1.20.00.15 2008/02/27
[ 5.952643] scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access Areca ARC-1110-VOL#00 R001 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
[ 5.972390] scsi 0:0:16:0: Processor Areca RAID controller R001 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0

Does the atomic kernel have support for it?
Yes, it supports this hardware
Zanoryt
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by Zanoryt »

Hrm, then if it supports that hardware, then shouldn't it see sda2 and be able to access the cfg file?

-Kevin
scott

Unread post by scott »

Yes it would, but if were still talking about AOOI it doesnt use it. Its just the plane old CentOS 5.0 kernel. That may or may not support it as well.
Zanoryt
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by Zanoryt »

Yes, still talking about AOOI.

Can I use the atomic kernel with the isos and cfg then? That should work right?

-Kevin
scott

Unread post by scott »

Not for an re-image event, but otherwise sure
Zanoryt
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by Zanoryt »

So then if I can't use the atomic kernel to re-image, and the 5.0 kernel can't load my RAID controller because there's no driver, that means I can't re-image with AOOI!

Grrr. Any last ideas? I suppose I'm stuck.

-Kevin
scott

Unread post by scott »

Thats assuming that centos 5.0 doesnt support the raid card, it very well might and just comes up with a different device name. If it doessnt, then try centos 5.2 (network mode) and watch the console to see if it detects the device.
Zanoryt
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by Zanoryt »

When I watch the console when using AOOI in network mode, I do not see any RAID drivers load at all. Then, installer starts, and I notice it tries to load a few generic RAID drivers, but no mention of the one I mentioned earlier. Since I can't seem to drop down to a shell from the installer, I can't see if it did detect the card. Any suggestions? SSH isn't running during that phase of the installer either, so I can't just login and check.

Thanks,
Kevin
Zanoryt
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by Zanoryt »

Zanoryt wrote:When I watch the console when using AOOI in network mode, I do not see any RAID drivers load at all. Then, installer starts, and I notice it tries to load a few generic RAID drivers, but no mention of the one I mentioned earlier. Since I can't seem to drop down to a shell from the installer, I can't see if it did detect the card. Any suggestions? SSH isn't running during that phase of the installer either, so I can't just login and check.

Thanks,
Kevin
Still no luck! Would it help if I gave you access to the box so you could update AOOI to be compatible?

-Kevin
scott

Unread post by scott »

Sure, that always helps