AOOI dev tree

General Discussion of atomic repo and development projects.

Ask for help here with anything else not covered by other forums.
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Re: AOOI dev tree

Unread post by scott »

OK the updates and move to a new mirror have been completed. Whats new in AOOI 0.18:

CentOS 5.3 is supported for Network installs (1and1 people should still use Local installs.)
New mirrors have been established for the ISO's

None of this has been tested yet, so all feedback (successes and failures) would be very helpful.
riotz
New Forum User
New Forum User

Unread post by riotz »

I've come up with a simple solution for installing on 1&1 boxes where the current installer can't find the kickstart file.

I had come up with a solution last time for my Business Root I server (which of course, I completely forgot a few days ago when I ordered a new Root II server to take advantage of the 50% off to get a decent box that didn't hang every day)

The / partition is just big enough (even on the old root I server) to hold the necessary ISO's to install Centos 5.3 (the first 3 CD's) but even better, on the Root II server the default 1&1 partition setup has / as 9GB, big enough to throw the DVD iso on it.

Run the AOOI installer; just go with network install (it really doesn't matter since network or local both can't find the KS), Reboot. When the installer can't find the KS file, select cancel for interactive install, select Hard Disk, then /dev/sda1 or whatever it is that comes up as the first drive to look on, and bob's your uncle it will see the DVD iso and happily start to install.

Edit the network settings (and whatever else you want) during the install to use DCHP, and you'll be up and running with a nice clean 5.3 machine.

Oh and another tip if you're planning on running it on a newly ordered 1&1 box - if you're wondering why it takes so bloody long to login on SSH or resolve IP's when you're doing a wget, do yourself a favour and edit /etc/resolv.conf before you do anything - the 1&1 Centos image is semi-broken, it puts your server IP as the first nameserver in resolv.conf, which of course, isn't going to get you very far, so just delete that line with your IP or comment it out. (This issue is what actually got me to go with a fresh normal proper Centos install rather than just go with the 1&1 image to save the hassle of trying to find the problem.) To be fair I think the Centos 5.3 install did the same thing, so if its still slow you might want to check that first.
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

riotz wrote:Oh and another tip if you're planning on running it on a newly ordered 1&1 box - if you're wondering why it takes so bloody long to login on SSH or resolve IP's when you're doing a wget, do yourself a favour and edit /etc/resolv.conf before you do anything - the 1&1 Centos image is semi-broken, it puts your server IP as the first nameserver in resolv.conf, which of course, isn't going to get you very far, so just delete that line with your IP or comment it out.
If you'll be installing a caching nameserver on the box (for instance bind which comes with Plesk) you might want put that entry back when the local caching nameserver is up and running.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
BruceLee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by BruceLee »

Hi,

i'm trying to install centos 5 on an 1and1 server via AOOI and local install but it ends up in not finding the correct disk controller driver after choosing a normal installation without the kickstart file.
Of course the network installation doesn't work.
The output of lspci indicates that it's a NVIDIA SATA CONTROLLER.
00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] SATA Controller (non-AHCI mode) (rev a2) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
When i try an installation with the local Centos 5.4.iso DVD it immediately crashes with
install exited abnormally [1/1]
What can I do?

Thanks a lot
BruceLee
scott

Unread post by scott »

hmm, try passing in "nosmp" to the kernel when it boots up. That could be a buggy bios, which Ive absolutely seen kill an install before. Oh the other thing to try would be turning ACPI off with "acpi=off"
BruceLee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Ok, I will try this tomorrow. But doesn't nosmp deactivate multi core processors?
Then my multicore AMD Proc would be a single core one. Or do I miss something?

Thanks

BruceLee
mikeshinn

Unread post by mikeshinn »

Yes it does. You may have to do this to get Centos to install, and you could upgrade a newer kernel which works with your system and turn SMP back on.

Be preapred though that you may also be stuck without multiple cores if Linux doesnt support some element of your hardware completely. This can happen if the even the latest kernel can't sort out your hardware.
BruceLee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Hi,
i got to manage it by tweaking your aooi.sh script to use centos 5.4 iso disk 1-3 and locally storing the complete centos 5.4 DVD.
After reboot two things got my attention.
1st. The swap entries where missing in fstab so I ran this commands from you kickstart file:

Code: Select all

sfdisk --change-id /dev/sda 2 82
sfdisk --change-id /dev/sdb 2 82
mkswap /dev/sda2
mkswap /dev/sdb2
echo "/dev/sda2               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0" >> /etc/fstab
echo "/dev/sdb2               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0" >> /etc/fstab
df -h -l gives me:

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0              441G  1.4G  417G   1% /
/dev/md1              251M   17M  222M   7% /boot
tmpfs                 2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /dev/shm
fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1          33      265041   fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda2            1218        1461     1959930   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda3            1462       60801   476648550   fd  Linux raid autodetect

Disk /dev/sdb: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1   *           1          33      265041   fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sdb2            1218        1461     1959930   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sdb3            1462       60801   476648550   fd  Linux raid autodetect

Disk /dev/md0: 488.0 GB, 488088010752 bytes
2 heads, 4 sectors/track, 119162112 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8 * 512 = 4096 bytes

Disk /dev/md0 doesn't contain a valid partition table

Disk /dev/md1: 271 MB, 271319040 bytes
2 heads, 4 sectors/track, 66240 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8 * 512 = 4096 bytes

Disk /dev/md1 doesn't contain a valid partition table
2nd error is:
fdisk /dev/sda1 e.g. ends up with this error:

Device contains neither a valid DOS partition table, nor Sun, SGI or OSF disklabel
Building a new DOS disklabel. Changes will remain in memory only,
until you decide to write them. After that, of course, the previous
content won't be recoverable.

Warning: invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected by w(rite)
writing doesn't help.
could it be this bug: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=479224
How can i determine that i can ignore this message?
Any additional infos you need?
Anyhting else I should check now?
Can i sort of stress test the machine to make sure that i can run my customers on it?

Thanks a lot
BruceLee
scott

Unread post by scott »

Where did you end up storing the CentOS 5.4 DVD, in what was swap? The reason its been using the older version is because newer centos needed 3 or more CD's for a local install and there wasnt enough space. And of course this is all really because I hadn't sorted out what is breaking the network issues with 1and1.
BruceLee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I stored it in "/" . There was enough space for the three iso's and the dvd because it is 10gb big.
swap was default 1and1. if i remember correctly on sda2 and sdb2.
during the installation where no errors.
could this error be directly linked with the setup process?

booted into 1and1 serial console rescue mode and ran cfdisk:
rescue:~# cfdisk /dev/sda
cfdisk 2.12r

Disk Drive: /dev/sda
Size: 500107862016 bytes, 500.1 GB
Heads: 255 Sectors per Track: 63 Cylinders: 60801

Name Flags Part Type FS Type [Label] Size (MB)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sda1 Boot Primary Linux raid autodetect 271.44
Pri/Log Free Space 9738.74
sda2 Primary Linux swap / Solaris 2006.97
sda3 Primary Linux raid autodetect 488088.12
could the free space be reason for it or the wrong partitioning before AOOI-ing the box?
if so, what is the recommended partition layout before AOOI-ing?
Thanks
BruceLee
scott

Unread post by scott »

AOOI will convert the swap partition to a regular file system, and then download the ISO's there. That way you can blow away all the other partitions and not remove the iso's at the same time. Once the install is complete, it converts those back into swap partitions (or it should rather... sometimes this doesn't work)
BruceLee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

thanks. I will try it from scratch again with the 1and1 image. this time without the dvd. maybe it was not necessary.
i put the dvd on the disk just to make sure that i can try it with that if the cd option does not work.

i think i know why the network installation fails. I'm not 100% sure but i think it could be the reason:
1and1 is providing classless static routes via dhcp by using the dhcp option 121.
i think that anaconda just does not support this dhcp option 121 and therefore does not "ask" for the routes.
without the routes configured the traffic does not get through.
if anybody is able to patch anaconda this could solve the problem.
using %pre kickstart option and adding the routes is allready to late.
maybe tweaking initrd.img could solve it, too?!

Thanks
BruceLee
scott

Unread post by scott »

You know trying fedora 12 (with a more advanced anaconda) might be a good first step. If that handles their dhcp environment a backport would be the next option.
BruceLee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

ok.i will try it this weekend with fedora12. i wonder if it helps.
would be great if it does and backporting is possible. this would simplify a lot.

1and1 is checking the partition table warning. nothing i can do about it.
tried dd-ing the whole disks and mbr too. Nothing helped.
Maybe it's nothing important and one of the few 1and1 special implementations :D
BruceLee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Back again with good news.

Installing Fedora12 (which has Anaconda 12.46) via Network-Installation runs fine in the 1and1 network environment
without any problems. This leads me to the conclusion that I might be right with the reason why centos installation makes so much trouble.
Hopefully there is someone who can backport the fedora12 anaconda to the centos one?!
That would be a real relief for 1and1 installations.
If someone is able to do this within the next time I would be happy to test it immediately.

The other error with the partition table is something the superb 1and1 technicians can't explain. They really told me that fdisk is not made for checking sda's but only md's. HAHA :lol: :lol: :lol: . So is send them the same error with the md's if that makes them happy.

Anyway. If i check the partition with fdisk /dev/sda and the option p it show up correct.
Other tools like parted, cfdisk etc. also give me the correct partition table.
After checking this behaviour on another 1and1 server and realizing that this server also has the error and
is running fine for years now I decided not paying any attention to this anymore.