New to ART & RPM's -- What should I backup?

General Discussion of atomic repo and development projects.

Ask for help here with anything else not covered by other forums.
Terminal_Junkie
New Forum User
New Forum User

New to ART & RPM's -- What should I backup?

Unread post by Terminal_Junkie »

I was non-voluntarily migrated to a new RH SE3 server - it came with a bunch of new stuff... Cool... :D But wait... Turns out I was running more recent stuff on my old RH7/PSA5 box? So, now I want to bring this server up to speed and it looks like there is a slim chance it could go terribly wrong...

So my question is what dirs should I backup locally (pleny of drive space) so that I can go looking for the odd conf file or qmail-queue file should something go wrong?

Naturally, the two packages I am most interested in upgrading are PHP and mySQL, both for security and feature reasons.

I have yum installed (v2.0.8 since I could not get 2.2.x to install properly :() and ready to go. I did a 'yum list updates' and was tempted to just let it rip go ahead and install.

But, this is a live remotely hosted server... So, I would like to have a 'plan-b' that would allow me to put everything back the way it was ASAP.

There is more then enough space on the drive to make a full copy to a 'temporary' directory (or tar file), but I figure I probably only need to back up two or three of the important directories.

I have the databases backed-up both via mysqlhotcopy (nightly backups) as well as manual mysqldump files to cover any mySQL upgrade issues that may arrise.

So, here is my plan:

- shut down the services (httpd, mysqld, qmail,...);
- back up all key system dirs (everything but /home, /proc, /tmp?);
- restart all of the services that were stopped;

- yum update (or yum update mysql mysql-server php php-imap php-mysql)

- make sure any services were properly started, if not start them, restart them if necesairy (mySQL problem);
- if something went terribly wrong, shut down all of the services;
- copy the backup direcories back;
- start the services back up;
- go back to the logs & error message to figure out what went wrong...

So, would that work :?: If so, what dirs are affected by the yum/rpm updates :?: Is there any way to have a look at what an rpm is going to do, affect, replace, etc :?: Perhaps a verbose mock run:?:

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Terminal Junkie!