proftpd error messages in /var/log/secure

General Discussion of atomic repo and development projects.

Ask for help here with anything else not covered by other forums.
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

proftpd error messages in /var/log/secure

Unread post by breun »

I see the following proftpd-related error messages in /var/log/secure on CentOS and I was wondering if they are expected or if some changes might be required to get rid of these:
proftpd: Deprecated pam_stack module called from service "proftpd"
I guess this is because /etc/pam.d/proftpd (part of the psa-proftpd RPM package in Atomic) contains references to pam_stack.so. I only see this on CentOS 5, the psa-proftpd package for CentOS 6 contains a different /etc/pam.d/proftpd which does not contain references to pam_stack.so.
proftpd: pam_env(proftpd:setcred): Unable to open config file: /etc/security/pam_env.conf: No such file or directory
/etc/security/pam_env.conf (part of the pam RPM package from CentOS) actually does exist on the filesystem.
proftpd: pam_unix(proftpd:session): session opened for user xxxxxxxx by (uid=0)
proftpd[19754]: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]) - USER xxxxxxxx: Login successful.
proftpd: pam_succeed_if(proftpd:session): error retrieving information about user 0
Logging in works fine, but after each successful login an error about retrieving information about user 0 is logged.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Re: proftpd error messages in /var/log/secure

Unread post by scott »

Has to do with how proftpd "chroots" itself. Theres no way to "fix" that, since you'd have to duplicate the files across every users directory.
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Re: proftpd error messages in /var/log/secure

Unread post by breun »

Ok, so all of these messages are harmless then?

Shouldn't /etc/pam.d/proftpd on EL5 be pam_stack-less, just like on EL6, to get rid of that deprecation message?
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management