qmail-*.MOVED

General Discussion of atomic repo and development projects.

Ask for help here with anything else not covered by other forums.
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

qmail-*.MOVED

Unread post by faris »

Hi guys,

Can someone who understands qmail a bit more than I do assist me to understand what is happening here please?

From http://kb.parallels.com/1161 which is related to applying your own patches to qmail, the KB tells you to do the following once you have compiled your own qmail-queue etc:
For Plesk 8.3 and above: copy compiled qmail-queue, qmail-remote, qmail-local into Qmail bin/ directory with .moved suffix (do NOT replace current files!), f.e.:
The implication here is that if the file has a .moved suffix then it somehow overrides the suffixless one.

I note that on installing qmail-scanner you end up with a .moved suffix for qmail-queue. I thought that was the OLD version, which qmail-scanner replaced with qmail-queue. But the KB implies the reverse and that qmail-queue.moved will in fact take precedence over qmail-queue.

Have I misread or misunderstood this?

Thanks,

Faris.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Re: qmail-*.MOVED

Unread post by scott »

qmail-scanner is definitely not using .moved, I dont know what is doing that (drweb?). If you can find out if indeed that really is the case that would be awesome. In all cases Ive used either .orig, or .backup when manipulating files.

What q-s needs is its own qmail-queue that is a wrapper for qmail-scanner-queue, so it does this

1) mv qmail-queue to qmail-queue.orig
2) installs qmail-scanner-queue to /var/qmail/bin
3) installs /usr/share/qmail-scanner/contrib/qmail-queue to /var/qmail/bin

Step 3 is only necessary to cause qmail to invoke qmail-scanner-queue. If something else can do this now, it would let us drop steps 1 and 3 and make this package a hell of a lot more bullet proof.

Again the only thing that wrapper does is tell qmail to invoke qmail-scanner-queue. The perl script in turn will call the original qmail-queue.orig binary to finish delivering mail.