How to protect the mailboxes?

General Discussion of atomic repo and development projects.

Ask for help here with anything else not covered by other forums.
josejavier
Forum User
Forum User

How to protect the mailboxes?

Unread post by josejavier »

Hi

Quick question.Beginner question.

I am using plesk and to protect the mailboxes I have three options: none,parallel premium antivirus and kaspersky.

Can I use kaspersky and parallel premium along with ASL or should I choose "none"?
Does ASL protect the mailboxes as well?

Thanks in advance
prupert
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: How to protect the mailboxes?

Unread post by prupert »

ASL does not provide in mail scanning software.

Plesk offers plug-ins. A free alternative for those is using Plesk with qmail-scanner and SpamAssassin, ClamAV etc. Atomic provides packages for qmail-scanner. With a qmail-scanner setup you can also use the ClamAV signatures provided by ASL.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

And clapf for postfix!
josejavier
Forum User
Forum User

Q-mail scanner sounds good.I will do that

Thanks for your help
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

Jose,

qmail-scanner is great and works wonders with clamav and spamassassin. We have it installed on all but one of our systems. Remember that it only works with qmail. If you have postfix you need to use clapf as Scott has mentioned.

But be warned: After you install a Plesk MicroUpdate (MU) via the Plesk updater, you will typically find that qmail-scanner has been disabled. To fix this, you just need to do a "yum reinstall qmail-scanner" and all should be well again. You can tell if qmail scanner is working or not by looking at /var/spool/qscan/qmail-queue.log -- you should see incoming messages being scanned in this log. No recent entries means no scanning is happening, so qmail-scanner is not working. (you will also see that there are no spamassassin-related entries in the main maillog if qmail-scanner is not working).

You might also like to look into spamdyke (spamdyke.org). There's even a spamdyke rpm in the Atomic repo that saves you having to compile it yourself.

Keep in mind that none of these things have any form of GUI to control them (though there is an optional GUI for spamdyke).
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
josejavier
Forum User
Forum User

Hi

thanks Faris for the detailed information.Appreciate it.

Quick question:

At the moment I am using horde mail with parallel premium antivirus(drweb) and spamassassin.This comes free with parallel and so far it is trouble free.Would not this protect my mailboxes? Is that not enough?

Thanks in advance
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

I would think what you have is plenty good really, and gives you a little more GUI-based control. If it works then I would not change.

Moving to qmail-scanner requires more technical knowledge and being willing to do quite a few things from the command line. It gives you more detailed control, but adds complexity.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
josejavier
Forum User
Forum User

I am overloaded so for the time being I will leave it as it is and as soon as I get everything up and running I will look into qmail-scanner.

Thanks again