openssl and gnutls

General Discussion of atomic repo and development projects.

Ask for help here with anything else not covered by other forums.
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

openssl and gnutls

Unread post by faris »

With important updates just out for both gnutls and openssl:

As well as updating the packages in question, are there any specific services that also need to be restarted?

And are there any commonly-compiled applications that need recompiling? I don't know how things work when a third party package is involved - do they just link to something or do they use some code from the package?

I'm thinking specifically about spamdyke and nrpe in particular (nrpe, I think, required openssl-devel before it will compile ) and spamdyke does some TLS stuff if compiled correctly. But I don't know how these things link, if at all, with the just updated packages.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Re: openssl and gnutls

Unread post by scott »

Provided you are dealing with a dynamically linked shared object that does not change targets, you should not have to rebuild anything in most cases.

The conditions where you would:
1) the target library changing, ie: libfoo.so.1 becomes libfoo.so.2.
2) Something in the API has changed that the linked application needs to be aware of. Say for example an application has an ifdef on a feature that was recently added in a library change. The previous build would not be able to take that into account unless it is rebuilt (and detected).

Item 2 is subtle, and knowing when this happens really involves deep understanding of how all the parts work together in the application. If you're not sure, recompile.