[atomic-testing]

General Discussion of atomic repo and development projects.

Ask for help here with anything else not covered by other forums.
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

[atomic-testing]

Unread post by faris »

Dumbo question Scott, but I can't find any reference to [atomic-testing] on the forums or on your site. Can you tell me what paths to enter in yum.conf please? (I'm keen to try your grsec kernel rpm).

On a related matter, how do things work in terms of smp?

I notice that RH supply two versions of the kernel RPMs, one non-smp and one smp (though the smp-kernel seems to work fine with single processor servers). Will you be doing the same?

And regarding compilation -- nothing to do with rpms now - I'm just curious about how things work. My main servers are all dual-processor, so I need an smp kernel. When attempting to compile a kernel, is smp an option I need to specify at compile time somewhere, or does the process of compilation detect multiple processors and include support automatically?

Faris.
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

atomic-testing is on 3es.atomicrocketturtle.com. When you build a kernel if youre in an SMP environment you'll need to specify that in the kernel config, plus any other optimizations specific to your hardware (there are a lot) prior to compiling.
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

Yikes. Thanks for that. Looks like building a kernel is as difficult as I thought. Mind you, Red Hat's normal RMS kernels aren't going to be optimised, are they? Just generic.

When you release your kernels, could you possibly also release a separate config file (i.e. exported from make menuconfig) for people like me to at least be able to try loading that as a starting point for our configs please?
scott

Unread post by scott »

They do optimize them, if you look they've got i386, i586, i686, and athlon kernels, as well as -bigmem, and -smp versions for each environment. You can find the config files in /boot/
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

You are a fount of knowledge Scott! Thanks.

Faris.