Bash vulnerability "Shellshock" CVE-2014-6271, CVE-2014-7169

Security annoucements of interest to the AtomiCorp community, such as vulnerabilities in third party applications.
mikeshinn
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Bash vulnerability "Shellshock" CVE-2014-6271, CVE-2014-7169

Unread post by mikeshinn »

Theres a new vulnerability in bash, you can read more about it here:

http://threatpost.com/major-bash-vulner ... s-x/108521

And here:

https://securityblog.redhat.com/2014/09 ... ash-flaws/

We released modsecurity rules to block attacks using this vulnerability. We've also released firewall IPS updates for ASL systems to protect other protocols. For rules only customers this should protect you from any web based attacks, for ASL systems this will also protect any other protocols from this attack (DHCP, etc.). We still recommend customers upgrade bash on their systems.

So if you are an ASL user, you were protected before this vulnerability became public. If you are a rules only user, you were protected from the web attacks.

These new rules are in the Virtual Patching ruleset, which is enabled by default in both ASL and aum. Custom rules users should ensure they have that ruleset loaded on their systems.
Imaging
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: New Bash vulnerability

Unread post by Imaging »

Mike:

Assuming this is the case but asking just in case, are the rules such that they are protecting against CVE-2014-6271 as well as the incomplete fix associated with CVE-2014-7169?

Thanks.
mikeshinn

Yes, they protect against both CVE-2014-6271 as well as CVE-2014-7169. They enforce both valid inputs (which is part of our proactive security model), as well as the specific injection methods the vector would use.
Imaging
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by Imaging »

Great, thanks for the clarification.
mikeshinn

In short, if you are using ASL or our real time rules, as described above, you were protected from web attacks using this vulnerability before it was public knowledge. We posted a twitter update once the vulnerability was no longer embargoed (it actually wasnt supposed to become public as soon as it did). There are active exploits out there now, so we've move these rules from the strict ruleset to the virtual patches ruleset so its active on everyones systems by default.
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Re: Bash vulnerability "Shellshock" CVE-2014-6271, CVE-2014-

Unread post by faris »

On the off-chance anyone is still unavoidably running a RHEL4/Centos4 system, Oracle seems to have published some compatible patched Bash packages:

http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/Enter ... test/i386/
http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/Enter ... st/x86_64/

Also there are patched OpenSSL and bind packages.

I have tested on one system and the Bash package seems to work. Not tried any of the others.

I'm sorry, but I've not looked into why Oracle continues to offer support for their EL4 flavour while everybody else stopped years ago, nor do I know if there are any "gotchas" with mixing flavours in a small way like this, or using Oracle packages in general for that matter.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_Linux for more
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
Imaging
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by Imaging »

Mike:

Are the protective rules still contained in the virtual patches ruleset? Asking in relation to rules only situations to make sure the right rulesets are active (versus the prior strict set that may not always be active by default).

I assume so but just for clarification, are the rules protective for the potential new bash issues that have been noted since the release of the original two CVEs?

Thanks!
mikeshinn

Thank you for the questions.
Are the protective rules still contained in the virtual patches ruleset? Asking in relation to rules only situations to make sure the right rulesets are active (versus the prior strict set that may not always be active by default).
Correct. We wanted to make sure they were on for everyone.
I assume so but just for clarification, are the rules protective for the potential new bash issues that have been noted since the release of the original two CVEs?
Also correct. The rules protect systems from all current CVEs (via the web vector). ASL will protect thos systems from other vectors too, like DHCP, SMTP, etc.
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

I'm having difficulty understanding what's actually happening with regards to the third Bash issue that's being worried about.

I got the impression that the second RH Bash (Friday) actually fixed the third issue that's being worried about, and that the methodology RH used was then published as a candidate patch to the generic Bash source code. IF this is correct, then if you compile your bash from source or use a non-RH-derived distro, you need to be looking at a third update, while those who use the Centos/RH rpms should be OK.

But I'm not sure if this is the case or not. It seems clear as mud to me :-) As a precaution, I keep checking for updates just in case.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
Imaging
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by Imaging »

Mike:

Great, thanks for confirming.
mikeshinn

Also, make sure you protect all your web services with ASL, including control panels. Many control panels include their own versions of bash, which are also vulnerable, and will not be patched by just upgrading your systems version of bash. Instructions for putting ASL in front of a control panel are available at the URL below:

https://www.atomicorp.com/wiki/index.php/ASL_WAF#local

Please note for our rules only users that because many control panels use their own web servers, which do not support modsecurity, you must use ASL to protect these services.
DarkF@der
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by DarkF@der »

Still when i enable T-WAF on plesk panel file manager will give.

Code: Select all

Not Found

The requested URL /smb/web/file-manager/dir//...... was not found on this server.
I know plesk was using @ and that why this happen
Then there was tolled it should be fixed in plesk 12

This is plesk 12 and still got that problem.