Support for Ubuntu 20.04

Customer support forums for the modsecurity rules feed. There is no such thing as a bad question here as long as it pertains to using the real time modsecurity rules feed. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious.
DCCR
New Forum User
New Forum User

Support for Ubuntu 20.04

Unread post by DCCR »

I imagine this is similar with the CentOS 8 compatibility question. Plesk states:

Atomic (tortix) ModSecurity ruleset is not available because Atomic doesn’t support Ubuntu 20.04 yet;
https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/arti ... t-in-Plesk

However, on the CentOS question thread, it was noted, "The rules are supported on any platform that supports modsecurity, that includes Centos 8."

I would assume this is no different with Ubuntu 20.04. Is this compatibility issue with aum? If so, are there plans for 20.04 compatibility at some point?
cponton
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Re: Support for Ubuntu 20.04

Unread post by cponton »

DCCR wrote:I imagine this is similar with the CentOS 8 compatibility question. Plesk states:

Atomic (tortix) ModSecurity ruleset is not available because Atomic doesn’t support Ubuntu 20.04 yet;
https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/arti ... t-in-Plesk

However, on the CentOS question thread, it was noted, "The rules are supported on any platform that supports modsecurity, that includes Centos 8."

I would assume this is no different with Ubuntu 20.04. Is this compatibility issue with aum? If so, are there plans for 20.04 compatibility at some point?
You can install ModSec manually, but that is correct that aum is not yet compatible with Ubuntu 20. It is currently in development, but I do not have a solid eta. Yet. If you would like to manually install, you can see this wiki article for instructions:
https://wiki.atomicorp.com/wiki/index.p ... stallation
concept21
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by concept21 »

Hello,
Which mod-security version should I install on Ubuntu 20.04? There is a version 3 of mod_security on spiderlab which is called version 3.
scott

Unread post by scott »

Yeah that is confusing huh, so there are 2 projects:

mod_security (2.9.3)- This is for apache

libmodsecurity (3.0.4) - this is for nginx

libmodsecurity is a re-write of mod_security in C++, so it doesnt support all of the same things that mod_security does yet
concept21
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by concept21 »

Scott,
Nice.

So is there a compiled version of apaches2 mod_security2 for Ubuntu 20.04.2? From where can I download it or must I compile it myself?

Can AUM work on Ubuntu 20.04.2?
mikeshinn

Unread post by mikeshinn »

Yes, aum works on Ubuntu. 20.04.

Install aum and it will install modsecurity for you.