Spamhaus lookup only for IPv4 addresses but not IPv6?

Community support forums for the free/delayed modsecurity rules feed. There is no such thing as a bad question here as long as it pertains to using the delayed modsecurity rules feed. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious.
Dwayne68
New Forum User
New Forum User

Spamhaus lookup only for IPv4 addresses but not IPv6?

Unread post by Dwayne68 »

I am using the latest free rules on an OpenVZ VPS running Debian 5.0.8 and modsecurity 2.5.11-1~bpo50+1. Recently, I had native IPv6 enabled for my VPS and noticed that my website takes ages to load when accessed via IPv6 but loads quickly when accessed via IPv4 (Firebug reports 20+ seconds via IPv6 and 2 seconds via IPv4). After some troubleshooting, I found out that disabling

Code: Select all

SecRule REMOTE_ADDR "@rbl xbl.spamhaus.org"  \
"deny, log, id:350000,rev:2,msg:'Global RBL Match: IP is on the xbl.spamhaus.org Blacklist',severity:'3'"
in 00_asl_rbl.conf was the solution. My website loads fast now irrespective of which IP version I am using. Looking at the Spamhaus site, it seems that they don't support IPv6 yet.

So, my question is: How can I limit the above Spamhaus lookup to only IPv4 addresses and exclude IPv6 addresses?

Thanks.

Dwayne