Plesk 9.01 Backup/Restore Problem

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
sackerman
Forum User
Forum User

Plesk 9.01 Backup/Restore Problem

Unread post by sackerman »

First let me get this out of my system. Plesk 9.x has to be the biggest 'P.O.S.' that I have seen, and Parallels doesn't seem to concerned. Okay, there, I feel better.

I am trying to migrate all of my clients/domains to another server. I have created an FTP backup repository and it can be viewed from both the source server and the target server. However when I select a file on the target server and 'copy to local repository' I get an "FTP Network Error". Apparently I am not the only one as the Plesk forum has several posts about this issue without one response from the 'bozos' at Parallels. I can't believe that they would a) release a piece of software that the 'backup/restore' doesn't work correctly and b) that wouldn't be working ferverishly to solve this. I am running CentOS 5.3 64-bit, with PHP 5.2.9
Highland
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Plesk 9.01 Backup/Restore Problem

Unread post by Highland »

I don't know if the backup syntax changed from 8.6 to 9.0 but here's a better way to backup.

Code: Select all

TIME=`date "+%m%d%Y"`

#do backup
rm /var/backup/backup*
/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup all /var/backup/backup-$TIME
#copy backup to FTP server
cd /var/backup

lftp 0.0.0.0 -u username,password <<EOF
cd /
lcd /var/backup/
put backup-$TIME
quit 0
EOF
"Its not a mac. I run linux... I'm actually cool." - scott
Troy McClure
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by Troy McClure »

The syntax did change a little. Update the backup line to this. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup server --output-file=/var/backup/backup-$TIME
adstock
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by adstock »

Hello.

Based on the infr above, and the fact that I cannot get my Plesk GuI backup to work, here is a working script for a full server backup, and rsynch to a Netgear Ready NAS located remotely and a basic email to send some very basic info to you.

You need to make sure you get rsync working to the ReadyNAS first, and there are plenty of articales that will help you generate the certificates and copy the correct part over to your NAS, so you can passwordless connections.

I save this as a bash script in a directory, and then call it via a Cron Job, which I do through the GUI.

#
date=`/bin/date +%F.%k.%M.%S`
#
# Create plesk backup
#
/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup --server --output-file=/var/your_mkdir_folder/Your_Server_name_plus_Text_$date.tar >>/var/your_mkdir_folder/Your_Server_name_plus_Text_$date-$date.log
#
#Rsynch the file over to Netgear ReadyNas sitting behind Firewall with Port 22 SSH enabled
#
rsync -avz /var/your_mkdir_folder/ Your_ReadyNAS_Public_ip_or_HostName:/YourReadyNASShare/YourFolderForBackups/ --log-file=/var/your_mkdir_folder/Your_Server_name_plus_Text_$date-$date.log
#
# script to send simple email
# email subject
SUBJECT="The Subject of your email"
# Email To ?
EMAIL="teh email address you want to sent to example@example"
# Email text/message
EMAILMESSAGE="/tmp/emailmessage.txt"
echo "Log file for Manual Backup of plesk"> $EMAILMESSAGE
cat /var/your_mkdir_folder/Your_Server_name_plus_Text_$date-$date.log  >>$EMAILMESSAGE
# send an email using /bin/mail
/bin/mail -s "$SUBJECT" "$EMAIL" < $EMAILMESSAGE
JimDunn
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by JimDunn »

sackerman wrote:First let me get this out of my system. Plesk 9.x has to be the biggest 'P.O.S.' that I have seen, and Parallels doesn't seem to concerned.
SOLUTION: Dump PLESK, use Virtualmin-GPL, problems solved: http://www.webmin.com/virtualmin.html
"Ok, yes... I like pie... um, I meant, pi."
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

sackerman wrote:I am trying to migrate all of my clients/domains to another server. I have created an FTP backup repository and it can be viewed from both the source server and the target server. However when I select a file on the target server and 'copy to local repository' I get an "FTP Network Error".
I recommend using the Plesk Migration Manager for migrations.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management