Nameserver and DNS question

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
laughingbuddha
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Nameserver and DNS question

Unread post by laughingbuddha »

Hi,

I've got 1 dedicated server, and 2 VPSes. My current setup is that neither of the VPSes have name servers, and instead I'm using 2 of the 10 IPs on my dedicated server as nameservers.

I found this guide today when I came up with the following idea. http://www.1and1faq.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46

What I would like to do use the VPSes as secondary DNS and assign them as ns2 and ns3 repectively, then take ns2 off of the dedicated server and just have it has ns1. Is this ok, and more importantly a better idea/setup than I have at the moment.

My thinking is to be able to host a domain, set its nameserver records as ns1 ns2 ns3, then say setup the domain on server 2 which is ns2, then ns2 dns (being secondary) would automaticly update the primary dns (being ns1).

Is that possible?

Matt
Matt

"Given that God is infinite, and that the universe is also infinite... would you like a toasted teacake?"

about.me/mattauckland
twitter.com/mattauckland
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Re: Nameserver and DNS question

Unread post by scott »

Maybe not a direct answer to your question here, but I use everydns.net. I set it up as a secondary, and it pulls the zones from my plesk boxes
laughingbuddha
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

How many secondary can you have?

In the guide it says "Now you will need to build an identical domain on the secondary server, then goto DNS and click the “Switch” button at the top to convert it to a slave DNS zone server." is that right?

I want to get to a point where I can set the ns records for a domain to ns1, ns2 and ns3. Then setup the domain on the server and that's it, rather than the way I do it now for the VPSes which is setting the DNS records one by one in 123-Reg dns control panel pointing it to the VPS the domain will be on.

Matt
Matt

"Given that God is infinite, and that the universe is also infinite... would you like a toasted teacake?"

about.me/mattauckland
twitter.com/mattauckland
scott

Unread post by scott »

As many as you want, the configuration I use is called a stealth primary. The plesk server is the master for the zone(s), but is not listed at the registrar. The everydns servers are all secondaries, and listed as authoritative for the zone. This way you get 4 separate physical dns servers, and it makes moving your domains around a lot easier
laughingbuddha
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Hi Scott,

Just picking this thread back up.

I'm attempt (in another recent thread) to use a VPS as a secondary nameserver, this has now gone very wrong, so I've reverted back to my original setup of both NS1 and NS2 on the same server, as it seems to work.

I'm interested in the idea of someone else handling my DNS issues. So I read through this thread again to try and understand it.

Now skipping around how I would actualy go about setting up this method, I understand that when using one server (My Plesk acting as Primary NS1) and the everydns servers acting as my secondary DNS/NS servers, if I added a domain to my Plesk server, the everydns servers will be updated by Plesk. Now, what happends if I setup another server, say called s2.myserver.com. If I wanted to host a domain on this new server, would I then add the domain to my primary server, edit the DNS settings to point to the IP of s2.myserver.com and then setup the domain on there.

If so, how should I configure the DNS template on s2.myserver.com? Would I leave it as standard Plesk default, or do I need to tweek it?

Just trying to better understand how this would work. I don't have the funds for dedicated DNS servers, and currently I have one dedicated and 2 VPSes. But I'm looking to get another dedicated server running soon, and drop the VPSes. As such I would like to sort this DNS thing out now, before I roll out the new server.

Thanks,

Matt
Matt

about.me/mattauckland
twitter.com/mattauckland