DNS/NS issue

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Re: DNS/NS issue

Unread post by faris »

laughingbuddha wrote: Only other option open to me is to use a 3rd party DNS service, but that will bring me back to the "How the hell do I set that up" stage.
Not really. We don't currently offer a secondary DNS service to people who don't have VPSes with us. If we did, however, all you would need to do would be to copy a script to some location on your server, and set up cron to run it every hour or so (which you can do via Plesk). Optionally you would also create a protected directory on a website. However, that's it. After that it is automatic.

(you would also need to change ns2 to point to a particular IP via your registrar, and change the A record for ns2 in the DNS for your nameserver domain in Plesk --- but you've done this before).

It doesn't get much easier, and something similar would apply with all third parties capable of automatically interfacing with Plesk's DNS config.

For 3rd parties with no automation it would actually be even easier. No script to install. Just add the domain to the 3rd party's control panel and you are done.

Faris.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
laughingbuddha
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by laughingbuddha »

I remember Scott mentioning in another thread once about everydns.net. Could I use everydns or a similar service to act as my secondary DNS?

Matt
Matt

"Given that God is infinite, and that the universe is also infinite... would you like a toasted teacake?"

about.me/mattauckland
twitter.com/mattauckland
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

laughingbuddha wrote:I remember Scott mentioning in another thread once about everydns.net. Could I use everydns or a similar service to act as my secondary DNS?
Why not take a look on their website?
We provide static DNS services as well as many advanced services such as Dynamic DNS resolution, Secondary service, AXFR service, and domain2web redirection.
(Emphasis mine.)

So yeah, sure.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
laughingbuddha
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Seems like a good option for the moment. Next I need to work out how to do it, and I mean from the point of configuring Plesk.

Matt
Matt

"Given that God is infinite, and that the universe is also infinite... would you like a toasted teacake?"

about.me/mattauckland
twitter.com/mattauckland
biggles
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by biggles »

You could also check out your old thread where I recommended xname. :mrgreen:

https://atomicrocketturtle.com/forum/vi ... ilit=xname
laughingbuddha
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Forgot about that. "You never know what happens and even if they got redundant, BGP, RAID, super-duper with extra glue on the sides security," :D

How would I implement xname? I want to be able to use Plesk as my first nameserver, so I only have to create domain entries in that, then hopefully (DNS god willing) xname will act as secondarys and pick up the changes I make on my nameserver. I'm also hoping that, if by any chance, my server is down or rebooting domains will still resolve.

I'm I on the right track?

Matt
Matt

about.me/mattauckland
twitter.com/mattauckland
laughingbuddha
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

And in hindsight maybe I should haven't gone with every ones sugestion and used an off site DNS server, but meh, you live and learn. :)
Matt

about.me/mattauckland
twitter.com/mattauckland
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

To use xname you'd need to add the domains to it via their control panel (though I think there's an option for your to import a list of details) and go through the process of changing the snameservers on the domains you host to use the xname nameservers.

Essentially it is almost identical to dyndns, but maybe a little more interesting in terms of features.

Note that you are expected to donate if you are using it for commercial purposes.

Faris.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
biggles
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by biggles »

laughingbuddha wrote:And in hindsight maybe I should haven't gone with every ones sugestion and used an off site DNS server, but meh, you live and learn. :)
You sure do! Keep reminding myself every day... 8)