Plesk: Add "notify yes" to named.conf

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
phil
New Forum User
New Forum User

Plesk: Add "notify yes" to named.conf

Unread post by phil »

Hi

I'm running a plesk server with ns1.mydomain.ch and a vps server with ns2.mydomain.ch.

To manage the secondary zone files i'm using webmin on the ns2 server, this actually works great, except that the plesk server doesn't send any notification to the ns2.

On the web i'm seen that "notify yes" must be defined in named.conf. I can add this line on plesk server but the notification doesnt get through to the secondary dns server. Ports 53 tcp/udp are open on the firewall.

Can anyone help please?

PS: Before I was using two plesk server one for ns1 and one for ns2. I was using Scotts Secondary DNS script which was working fine for years. But since I'm continue to use only one plesk server and one fresh empty server for secondary dns, I probably cannot use the scripts.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Phil
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Re: Plesk: Add "notify yes" to named.conf

Unread post by faris »

Ok, well, I think I'm going to be told I'm wrong about this but here goes.....

The secondary has to ask the primary for zone info. Thus the primary doesn't automatically every X seconds send the info out.

In order for the secondary to know what to ask for, it has to ask the primary for info on the domains by name. i.e. it doesn't say "send me everything". It says "send me info on thisdomain-name.com".

This is why you generally have a script that pulls the names of the domains from the primary, loads them into the secondary, which then asks the primary for the actual DNS info for each of them.

One of the SOA settings defines when the secondary should assume its data might be stale and ask the primary for fresh info on a particular domain.

Having said that, I could have sworn I've seen my primary send out notifies to the secondary after I've rebooted it, hence "I'm probably wrong!".

Faris.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>