details preview of Plesk 10.4.X

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
BruceLee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

details preview of Plesk 10.4.X

Unread post by BruceLee »

Found it today by coincidence. Might be interesting for some people to read about details regarding the upcoming Plesk 10.4.X
http://www.parallels.com/download/plesk10.4/
http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/PP ... ed-os.html
JimDunn
Forum User
Forum User

Re: details preview of Plesk 10.4.X

Unread post by JimDunn »

I'm still on Plesk 8.6.0... I wonder when they'll stop supporting it.

I sure hate the thought up upgrading it... it just sits there and works so well... all I have to do is "yum update" once a week...

I can't imagine that 8.6 -> 10.3 would go smoothly... my luck doesn't run that way...
"Ok, yes... I like pie... um, I meant, pi."
biggles
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by biggles »

JimDunn wrote:I'm still on Plesk 8.6.0... I wonder when they'll stop supporting it.

I sure hate the thought up upgrading it... it just sits there and works so well... all I have to do is "yum update" once a week...

I can't imagine that 8.6 -> 10.3 would go smoothly... my luck doesn't run that way...
+1
coolemail
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by coolemail »

JimDunn wrote:I'm still on Plesk 8.6.0... I wonder when they'll stop supporting it.

DON'T UPGRADE!!!! We were Plesk 7, then 8 then 9 and that was all good. Then we made a big mistake and went to Plesk 10. Well, nothing but problems ever since. And I can guarantee that it will not be smooth because the whole terminology in Plesk 10 is totalyl different, and it is riddled with bugs as I'm sure you have read in other posts. Just sit there with a smug grin while we dispair :cry:
Kalimari
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by Kalimari »

I can only concur that Plesk 10 is a nightmare and as coolemail stated, the terminology/organisation is completely different. Have stayed on 9 (currently 9.5.4) on primary servers which host important projects!

Have been looking for an alternative CP to Plesk (for all the obvious reasons), but have not discovered a viable alternative yet. Naturally, it'd need to co-exist happily with ASL ;-)
coolemail
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Kalimari wrote:Have stayed on 9 (currently 9.5.4) on primary servers which host important projects!
Stupidly, we took th leap of faith after other major upgrades always added something useful. But Plesk 10 is SO different that you cannot then go back. So we are stuck with wondering whether we now keep going to Plesk 10.4 which cannot be worse, or stay with the rubbish we have.
Kalimari wrote:Have been looking for an alternative CP to Plesk (for all the obvious reasons), but have not discovered a viable alternative yet.
I agree, and think that we have to stay with shabby Parallels because I am certain that any switch would be virtually impossible. The only good thing in all this as you say is ASL - that is BRILLIANT. Thanks Mike, Scott & all atomic staff.
mikeshinn
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by mikeshinn »

Have been looking for an alternative CP to Plesk (for all the obvious reasons), but have not discovered a viable alternative yet. Naturally, it'd need to co-exist happily with ASL ;-)
If you have your eye on a CP we dont officially support, please let us know. We base our support on what everyone is using (or may be using in the future). Right now these are offically supported (because they may interact with ASL):

* PSA
* Cpanel
* Directadmin
* Virtualmin
* Interworx

Others may work with ASL without issue too, we just havent tested them yet.
JimDunn
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by JimDunn »

mikeshinn wrote:If you have your eye on a CP we dont officially support, please let us know. We base our support on what everyone is using
I've been looking at ISPConfig:

http://www.ispconfig.org/
JimDunn
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by JimDunn »

Kalimari wrote:stayed on 9 (currently 9.5.4) on primary servers which host important projects
Do you know if 8.6.0 will (smoothly) upgrade to 9.5.4... if the day comes for me??? (I only have about 150 client domains)
mikeshinn

Unread post by mikeshinn »

I've been looking at ISPConfig:

http://www.ispconfig.org/
We havent tried it yet, but it may more right now as long as it uses package management. We go to great lengths to make sure all our software uses the OSes package management system and follows the distros file system standards, so out of the box if that CP does the same it should work without any special tweaks.

If it doesnt use package management, and/or doesnt follow the distros filesystem standards then it would likely require some special work (such as with cpanel).
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

coolemail wrote:Stupidly, we took th leap of faith after other major upgrades always added something useful. But Plesk 10 is SO different that you cannot then go back.
I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but it's not like there aren't tons of documentation on what's new in Plesk 10 and how the new interface works and how the new way of organizing clients, domains, etc. is set up. If your production systems are dear to you, I suggest reading up on new versions and testing migrations and upgrades before performing them in production environments.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
coolemail
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

breun, Yes, a bit harsh but I agree. Thee was not lots of negativity like now when we migrated. It is fair to say that previous upgrades of Plesk have been good. And many of the issues that are experienced cannot have been tested in every case before upgrades - or else you'd think that Paralells would have fixed them before release!
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

Testing on exactly your server, your OS setup and your data is not something Parallels can do for you, so that's why I recommend doing it yourself.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

I have to say I'm extremely impressed with the pre-release 10.4 builds so far (the latest build has added the originally missing mobile management page).

Over the course of the next week we'll be doing some migration tests on "awkward" domains and clients with it to see how things go. By awkward, I mean with custom dns settings, oddly chmoded and chowned directory structures, files stored outside httpdocs, custom vhosts and so on.

I note that 10.4 solves one of the big problems a few people were having with domain users not being imported, or something like that.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
paulie
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by paulie »

JimDunn wrote:
Kalimari wrote:stayed on 9 (currently 9.5.4) on primary servers which host important projects
Do you know if 8.6.0 will (smoothly) upgrade to 9.5.4... if the day comes for me??? (I only have about 150 client domains)
We upgrade 8.6 to 9.5.4 quite frequently on Virtuozzo (but not using any of the Virtuozzo tricks for doing this). Its gone wrong once out of probably 50+ because my instructions weren't followed to the letter (don't copy/paste the commands all at once).

That said we've probably not upgraded a VPS with 150 domains, 100 domains will have been the most. And I personally daren't upgrade a physical server (I can recover the VPS...).

-

I'm actually really keen on Plesk 10, but probably cause I don't use it much, I see the logic in the changes they made, and some of the additions suit our requrements, I'm less than impressed with a quarterly release cycle though! But as it stands its likely we'll offer it as Centos 6 VPS option and I'm unsure what we'll do about shared hosting (the biggest problem with moving to Plesk 9 or 10 for shared hosting is the backups situation... in 9 they take down servers when you download them, in 10 they dont' work!).